[comp.windows.ms] SMARTDRIVE & DISK MANAGER

peter.gowdy@canremote.uucp (PETER GOWDY) (11/15/89)

Does anyone know how to make Smartdrive work on a hard disk setup by
Disk Manager? A Microsoft article I read suggested that it doesn't, and
I have noticed that it's operation is intermittent.

Any comments are appreciated.

Peter Gowdy, Toronto
Usenet: peter.gowdy@canremote.uucp
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

claude.vidal@canremote.uucp (CLAUDE VIDAL) (11/16/89)

//]Does anyone know how to make Smartdrive work on a hard disk setup by
//]Disk Manager? A Microsoft article I read suggested that it doesn't, and
//]I have noticed that it's operation is intermittent.

I  too  have  had  problems  running  SMARTDRV.SYS  with  my disk
managing  software   (Vfeature  by   Golden  Bow   Systems)  when
partitioning over 32mb.

I spent months pulling hair on this one; I got 2 replies...

Microsoft:

    "...(SMARTDRV.SYS) caches only nonremovable hard  drives
    that  operate  on  the  IBM  ROM INT 13H interface using
    drive numbers starting at 80H...

    ...all logical partitioning schemes  that operate  above
    the INT 13H interface will not work..."

Golden Bow System:

    "...SMARTDRV.SYS  _assumes_   a  sector   size  of   512
    bytes..."  I note: Partitions >32mb require an increased
    sector size  to comply  with the  current FAT  structure
    (DOS 3.x).

SMARTDRV.SYS's usage  of extended  memory (I  use Windows/386) is
variable:  Windows/386  can  dynamically  'borrow'  some extended
memory  from  SMARTDRV.SYS;  so  that  makes  SMARTDRV.SYS a very
attractive option, eventhough performance tests show it's  second
class to many other superior cache programs.

But with SMARTDRV's bad temper,  I turned to PC-Cache: say  hello
to another set of problems!  My Priam V185 has 1166 cylinders and
7 heads; in my Phoenix  BIOS device table, the maximum  number of
cylinders of any type with 7 heads is 1024, so that's the type  I
select in my setup.   Vfeature's documentation indicates that  it
doesn't really care what the setup says anyway.

Now, maybe  this is  just a  coincidence, but  using PC-Cache  on
anything  that  lands  on  a  cylinder  number  > 1024 freezes my
system.  So maybe Vfeature  doesn't care about the  device table,
but here's PC-Cache 'apparently' having a peak at my device table
and having a stroke.  I can't explain the freeze any other way.
_________________________

I don't fully understand the internals of what is going on  here,
but I hope this helps a bit.

Oh, and by the way, Microsoft suggests that SMARTDRV.SYS 'should'
work with partitions  >32mb under DOS  4.01; I haven't  dared try
this yet...
---
 ~ EZ-Reader 1.21 ~ Windows/386...faut l'faire!

 * QNet 1.04a1: DAT-A-REA - St-Bruno,Quebec (514)441-3229

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (11/16/89)

In article <89111504064846@masnet.uucp>, peter.gowdy@canremote.uucp (PETER GOWDY) writes:
> Does anyone know how to make Smartdrive work on a hard disk setup by
> Disk Manager? A Microsoft article I read suggested that it doesn't, and
> I have noticed that it's operation is intermittent.
>
> Any comments are appreciated.

I run 2 hard disk with Disk Manager and have SmartDrv loaded. I haven't noticed
any problems. Perhaps I'm missing something. What problems have you had?
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

claude.vidal@canremote.uucp (CLAUDE VIDAL) (11/19/89)

//]]SMARTDRV.SYS's usage  of extended  memory (I  use Windows/386) is
//]]variable:  Windows/386  can  dynamically  'borrow'  some extended
//]]memory  from  SMARTDRV.SYS;  so  that  makes  SMARTDRV.SYS a very
//]]attractive option, eventhough performance tests show it's  second
//]]class to many other superior cache programs.
//]
//]Actually, Claude, Windows can only "borrow" memory back from Smartdrive
//]if Smartdrive is loaded in expanded memory....

Of course, you're right; it's  just I can't see as  many benefits
in loading SMARTDRV.SYS in extended  as in expanded, so I  assume
everyone  would  load  it  in  expanded;  specially  given   this
interaction between Windows and SMARTDRV.SYS

//]...........................................  Under Windows/386, there is
//]no dynamic interaction at all.  (If you don't see a Smartdrive entry
//]when you check the About... box in the MS-DOS Executive, there's no
//]interaction)...

Although I haven't tested SMARTDRV.SYS on my 386 (I wish I  COULD
test  the  damn  thing!),   I  don't  recall  the   documentation
restricting   this   interaction   to   only   286's...unless   I
misunderstand your comment.

_____________________

By  the  way,  you  seem  somewhat  involved  with Windows; which
version  do   you  run?    On  what   equipment?   What   Windows
applications do you run (shareware and commercial)?
---
 ~ EZ-Reader 1.21 ~ Windows/386...faut l'faire!

 * QNet 1.04a1: DAT-A-REA - St-Bruno,Quebec (514)441-3229

claude.vidal@canremote.uucp (CLAUDE VIDAL) (11/19/89)

//]]Although I haven't tested SMARTDRV.SYS on my 386 (I wish I  COULD
//]]test  the  damn  thing!),   I  don't  recall  the   documentation
//]]restricting   this   interaction   to   only   286's...unless   I
//]]misunderstand your comment.
//]
//]The reason there is no interaction between Smartdriv and Windows/386 is
//]simple really: Smartdriv must be loaded into paged expanded memory at
//]boot-up time for Windows to recognize it, but Windows/386 ignores and
//]cannot manage any expanded memory that it hasn't created itself...

Said this way, makes lots of sense...but there's still  something
haunting  me  in  the  back  of  my mind about this...I'll dig in
further (shit!  there goes  the paint  job I  was supposed  to do
today)

//]With the exception of a handful of GEM applications, all the
//]applications and most utilities I run, run under Windows.  I use
//]Windows/386 2.17...

You're not the first to mention  2.17; I'm at 2.1; I wonder  what
the maintenance was between our  2 versions?  I know some  had to
do with video/printer drivers, but what else?  Do you know?

//].................  Before I'll start using Windows/386 as a total
//]environment, it will have to allow use of high memory and install its
//]memory management system at boot-up via a device driver.  Maybe 3.0 will
//]allow this...

There are many things I'm  hoping for too, the most  important of
which  are  decent  memory  management, tweakable task scheduling
(time slices) and STABILITY!  I still crash the system once every
1-2 weeks.

//]I already have Pub-Tech's File Organizer.  What about you?

Command Post, Excel, Am
 (lightly, Write does the job most of the
time),  Page  Maker,  Corel  Draw,  Active  Life, a few utilities
(finder, browser)
---
 ~ EZ-Reader 1.21 ~ Windows/386...faut l'faire!

 * QNet 1.04a1: DAT-A-REA - St-Bruno,Quebec (514)441-3229

peter.gowdy@canremote.uucp (PETER GOWDY) (11/24/89)

Claude,
Thanks for your comments. I may go to DOS partitions so that I can get
my Smartdrive working properly. It sounds as though you've been through
the wringer on this, so I might just accept this problem for a while, or
until MS fixes it. Again, thanks for you input.

Peter Gowdy, Toronto
Usenet: peter.gowdy@canremote.uucp
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

claude.vidal@canremote.uucp (CLAUDE VIDAL) (11/25/89)

//]I'd don't think there is an official upgrade from 2.1; I reinstalled
//]with the run-time build files from Designer 2.0 (dated Sept. 89), and
//]now I'm told it's version 2.17.  I don't notice any difference

From what  I know,  the '7'  in 2.17  indicates the seventh minor
revision, usually new  or corrected printer/display  drivers; but
occasionally, Microsoft will slip in there a correction for a bug
that occurs only in rare circumstances.

//]Pubtech's File Organizer, though, comes with a very good editor (no kb
//]limits, macros and so on)... worth looking into, even if you don't care
//]for icons and trashcans etc...

Shareware?
---

david.christensen@canremote.uucp (DAVID CHRISTENSEN) (11/30/89)

CV>Oh, and by the way, Microsoft suggests that SMARTDRV.SYS 'should'
CV>work with partitions  >32mb under DOS  4.01; I haven't  dared try
CV>this yet...

   Its not worth the trouble, try  and use Compaq 3.31, same features,
   less buggy.

                                                                ...dC...
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a17 #648             ~~~~  Happy  Holidays!  ~~~~

Sound of Music

peter.gowdy@canremote.uucp (PETER GOWDY) (12/01/89)

David,
Does your note regarding Compaq DOS 3.31 mean that Smartdrive will work
under Disk Manager?

===== Peter Gowdy =====
===== Toronto     =====
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (12/06/89)

In article <89120107514975@masnet.uucp> peter.gowdy@canremote.uucp (PETER GOWDY) writes:
>David,
>Does your note regarding Compaq DOS 3.31 mean that Smartdrive will work
>under Disk Manager?

>===== Peter Gowdy =====

I tested Compaq DOS 3.31 and found it to be the best choice of today's
DOS versions. It has real 4.0 big partitions (>32MB) without the 4.0
overhead (always having SHARE loaded). The partitions are fully
compatible with DOS 4.0 and SMARTDRV (at least 2.10 and above) works
well with them. Also, Compaq DOS 3.31 needs less memory than 4.0 (about
12k). If you do not need the DOS shell (who needs it ? :-), it is the
best choice.

Kai Uwe Rommel,
Munich