[comp.windows.ms] Does SMARTdrive help under DOS as well as Windows ?

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (12/05/89)

I recently got expanded memory for my AT-compatible.  I'm plannning
to install the SMARTdrive disk-caching program.  The Windows literature
explains how useful SMARTdrive is under Windows. Does SMARTdrive
also do disk-caching while just running under DOS ?  For example, will it
be helpful while I'm compiling  a Windows App ?

Thanks.

	Robert Heath

hrich@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (George.H.Harry.Rich) (12/06/89)

In article <5442@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
>I recently got expanded memory for my AT-compatible.  I'm plannning
>to install the SMARTdrive disk-caching program.  The Windows literature
>explains how useful SMARTdrive is under Windows. Does SMARTdrive
>also do disk-caching while just running under DOS ?  For example, will it
>be helpful while I'm compiling  a Windows App ?

I've been running SMARTdrive and it's been a big help with the slow disk in
my system whether under Windows or just straight DOS.

I've also found that using extended rather than expanded memory that
Microsoft's suggestion that you forget about using RAMDISK and just give
all the memory to SMARTdrive should be ignored.  I've obtained major
improvements by directing the Windows temporaries to a RAMDISK (be sure
to use the version that comes with Windows).  The time saved is the cache
writethrough using SMARTdrive.  I don't know if this is applicable when
Windows has expanded memory available for temporary storage.

Regards,

	Harry Rich