[comp.windows.ms] Windows Dialog Box

avnish@ka.excelan.com (Avnish Aggarwal) (12/08/89)

Does anyone know how to make a modeless dialog box that also
contains a menu bar?

I have created a dialog box that contains a menu bar that is
treated like parent window, but this fails if the dialog box
is a child window.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Kevin Steele

kevins@la.excelan.com
UUCP: {ames,sun,apple,mtxinu,cae780,sco}!excelan!avnish    Avnish Aggarwal
Internet: avnish@ka.excelan.com

paul@cscnj.csc.COM (Paul Moody) (12/08/89)

In article <858@excelan.COM>, avnish@ka.excelan.com (Avnish Aggarwal) writes:
> Does anyone know how to make a modeless dialog box that also
> contains a menu bar?
> I have created a dialog box that contains a menu bar that is
> treated like parent window, but this fails if the dialog box
> is a child window.  Any ideas?
> Thanks.
>
> Kevin Steele

You cannot have a window that is both a child and has its OWN menu.
Our solution was to replace the main window's menu with the one
associated with the currently active child. When a menu item is
selected, forward the message to the active child.

Avnish,
Are you back?  Are you guy's working on windows now?
--
Paul Moody			UUCP: rutgers!cscnj!paul
Computer Sciences Corporation

bturner@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Bill Turner) (12/09/89)

>Does anyone know how to make a modeless dialog box that also
>contains a menu bar?
>
>I have created a dialog box that contains a menu bar that is
>treated like parent window, but this fails if the dialog box
>is a child window.  Any ideas?

The problem is that WS_CHILD windows cannot have menu bars.  If you create
the dialog as a WS_POPUP style window, then you should be able to get the
menu bar.

--Bill Turner (bturner@hp-pcd.hp.com)
HP Corvallis Information Systems