[comp.windows.ms] "Generic" Graphics Printer Driver

sipples@husc2.HARVARD.EDU (Timothy Sipples) (12/12/89)

Since no printer driver seems to exist for the IBM Quietwriter Model 2
under Windows, I thought I'd try a different tack.
	Does anyone know of a printer driver which allows you to enter
the necessary code sequences to get a printer to print graphics/set
attributes/etc.  In other words, does the "ultimate" generic driver
exist?

Timothy F. Sipples  |  sipples@husc2.{harvard.edu|bitnet}

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (12/14/89)

In article <3407@husc6.harvard.edu>, sipples@husc2.HARVARD.EDU (Timothy Sipples) writes:
> Since no printer driver seems to exist for the IBM Quietwriter Model 2
> under Windows, I thought I'd try a different tack.
>       Does anyone know of a printer driver which allows you to enter
> the necessary code sequences to get a printer to print graphics/set
> attributes/etc.  In other words, does the "ultimate" generic driver
> exist?

I have a similar problem with another dot matrix printer. Does the source exist
for creating customized printer drivers?
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (12/15/89)

In article <12369@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
>In article <3407@husc6.harvard.edu>, sipples@husc2.HARVARD.EDU (Timothy Sipples) writes:
>> Since no printer driver seems to exist for the IBM Quietwriter Model 2
>> under Windows, I thought I'd try a different tack.
>>       Does anyone know of a printer driver which allows you to enter
>> the necessary code sequences to get a printer to print graphics/set
>> attributes/etc.  In other words, does the "ultimate" generic driver
>> exist?
>>
>I have a similar problem with another dot matrix printer. Does the source exist
>for creating customized printer drivers?

You have two choices.  First, and hardest, you can get the kit to write drivers
from Microsoft and roll your own.  Requires some detailed understanding of
writing for Windows, and (likely) a lot of patience.

Second, much easier, but possibly less useful, Microsoft's Word for Windows
comes with a driver that in turn reads .prd files (I don't know if they
match the old PC Word prd's or not) and does printing under Windows.  Depending
on what you need, this might do the job.  Of course, you probably have to
buy WinWord to get it, but that's not so bad as it'
s really impressive.
--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com