[comp.windows.ms] Crosstalk

JTH@PSUVM.BITNET (John T. Harwood) (12/12/89)

Does the new release of XTALK run in a Window or only under Windows?
Kermit will run "under" Windows but not in a window; it will run in a window
under Deskview.

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (12/13/89)

In article <89345.140248JTH@PSUVM.BITNET>, JTH@PSUVM.BITNET (John T. Harwood) writes:
> Does the new release of XTALK run in a Window or only under Windows?
> Kermit will run "under" Windows but not in a window; it will run in a window
> under Deskview.

Kermit has always run in a window for me, even on Win286. It might be a bit
slow, but it definitely runs in a window.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (12/19/89)

In article <12333@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
>In article <89345.140248JTH@PSUVM.BITNET>, JTH@PSUVM.BITNET (John T. Harwood) writes:
>> Does the new release of XTALK run in a Window or only under Windows?
>> Kermit will run "under" Windows but not in a window; it will run in a window
>> under Deskview.
>
>Kermit has always run in a window for me, even on Win286. It might be a bit
>slow, but it definitely runs in a window.
>--

As far as the "new release of XTALK" is concerned, that depends on which new
version you are speaking of. DCA has now introduced Crosstalk for Windows
which in my mind runs under Windows and in a window as any other Windows
program (such as Excel or Pagemaker) would. Also there is a version of
Kermit called WinKer that is also a Windows application and it too runs
under Windows and in a window.

The only applications that I know of that will run under Windows but not
in a window are what Microsoft calls "Standard Applications" or simply
DOS applications not written for Windows. These will not run in a
window when they directly modify memory or write directly to video memory
or other such nasties.

I have been using Crosstalk for Windows and WinKer for a little while
now. Winker is fairly basic with only h19 terminal emulation (but it
is free from the Columbia University machines) while Crosstalk for Windows
will blow your socks off.

Good Luck.

Richard Oppenheimer
oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu