[comp.windows.ms] MS Windows debuggers

sshirk@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Stephanie.Shirk) (12/18/89)

We're looking for info on other Windows debuggers besides Codeview.  Some
companies that we understand market these include Answer Software,
Atron, and Periscope.  Has anyone used these debuggers or know of any others?
Please e-mail me (or post if you want) info and recommendations or other
comments.

Thanks -- Stephanie Shirk

e-mail to sshirk@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM

mguyott@mirror.UUCP (Marc Guyott) (12/20/89)

In article <154@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM> sshirk@emdeng.UUCP (Stephanie.Shirk) writes:
>We're looking for info on other Windows debuggers besides Codeview.  Some
>companies that we understand market these include Answer Software,
>Atron, and Periscope.  Has anyone used these debuggers or know of any others?
>Please e-mail me (or post if you want) info and recommendations or other
>comments.

Most of the people here use Codeview with a product called MagicCVW.  MagicCVW
allows Codeview to run in a separate virtual machine on any 386.  Because of
this it only uses up 8K of the DOS memory used by Windows.

I use Periscope (Periscope IV although Periscope I is more than enough for
Windows debugging as you cannot use most of the hardware features without
fixing segments in memory - if something moves the hardware breakpoints don't
get updated (the software ones do though)) for my Windows debugging.

We have found that there are times when Codeview will not work (i.e. it
hangs the system) and Periscope will and vice versa.  I think it is worth
while to have both debuggers available to developers.

MagicCVW can be purchased from:
            Nu-Mega Technologies
            P.O. Box 7607
            Nashua, NH 03060-7607
            (603)888-2386

Periscope can be purchased from:
            The Periscope Company, Inc.
            1197 Peachtree Street
            Plaza Level
            Atlanta, GA 30361
            (800)722-7006
            (404)875-8080
                                                             Marc
----
	      "All my life I always wanted to BE somebody.
	       I see now I should have been more specific."
			     Jane Wagner
Marc Guyott					    mguyott@mirror.tmc.com
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems		 Cambridge, MA	02140	       617/661-0777