Date: Fri, 22 Dec 89 13:03:11 EST
From: harvard!prism.TMC.COM!mguyott (Marc Guyott)
To: harvard!scubed!emdeng!sshirk@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM
Subject: Re:  Windows debuggers

> - Are you using Windows 286 or 386?  I thought the Periscope people said
>   it only supports Windows/286, but it doesn't say that in their info.
>   Also, what version are you using?  The info I have says it supports
>   1.03 and 2.03, but we have 2.1.  (We also have both /286 and /386).

We use only Windows 2.1/286.  We have a copy of the 386 version of Windows
but I have never tried to use periscope with it.

> - Do you still need the board that comes with Periscope I?  Is that board
>   only used to provide extra memory for the debugger s/w and symbol table?

Although it is true that the Periscope I board is used only for the debugger
software and the symbol tables I highly recommend getting it.  Using the
Periscope I board means that Periscope will not use any of the memory normally
available to DOS and Windows and it protects the debugger software from random
memory overwrites.  Without the Periscope I board the Periscope debugger is
the same as the Codeview debugger.  With the Periscope I board it is much more
useful then Codeview (even with expanded (or is it extended?) memory). IMHO

> - Does MagicCVW work with either Windows/286 or /386?  The person I talked
>   to there said she thought it only worked with /386, but she might have
>   thought I meant the PC.

MagicCVW only work on 386 machines so she probably did think you meant the PC.
I do not know if MagicCVW works with Windows 386.  It probably does not as you
have to install a specific memory manager that works in cooperation with
MagicCVW.  But I could be wrong.

I hope this helps.  Enjoy the holidays.  I'm out of here for 10 days!  If you
run into any problems or have any questions feel free to drop me a line.

                                                              Marc

P.S.  Technical support at Periscope (Bret Salter) is excellent!