[comp.windows.ms] Windows slow down after use

berger@well.UUCP (Robert J. Berger) (01/08/90)

Has anyone had a problem where their windows application begins to slow down
after extended use? The acutal painting of the windows and their data slows
down to where you can actually see it updating the screen.

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (01/09/90)

In article <15414@well.UUCP> berger@well.UUCP (Robert J. Berger) writes:

>Has anyone had a problem where their windows application begins to slow down
>after extended use? The acutal painting of the windows and their data slows
>down to where you can actually see it updating the screen.

More than likely, what's happening is that memory is getting used up, and
Windows is having to page (thrash) more and more code from the disk.  You
could use one of the millions of programs to continuously display availalbe
memory to check on this, or could periodically use the About in MSDOS Exec.
If it's an application you wrote, you might then be able to use heapwalk to
see what the blocks are that are piling up.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (01/10/90)

In article <15414@well.UUCP> berger@well.UUCP (Robert J. Berger) writes:
}Has anyone had a problem where their windows application begins to slow down
}after extended use? The acutal painting of the windows and their data slows
}down to where you can actually see it updating the screen.

You're hosing Windows memory someplace.  Basically, when Windows gets slow it
usually means that it's starting to thrash.  This in turn means that your
conventional memory is going down.  Check to see if you're getting context
without releasing context, if you're not releasing resources, if you're doing
GlobalAlloc's without getting rid of the space you've allocated, etc.  There
are a million reasons this could happen, but you've got to track down where
you're not freeing memory.
--
"I place my faith in fools.  Self confidence, my friends call it."
					-Edgar Allen Poe

Patrick Deupree -> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us