[comp.windows.ms] Need: information on MS-Windows developing tools

yjj@SIRIUS.CTR.COLUMBIA.EDU (01/10/90)

Can anyone give me some suggestion on MicroSoft Windows developing
tools.  There are tools from MicroSoft, Whitewater and CNS (C-Talk).
But I don't know which is more suitable for my need.

My friend and I are writing a Chinese word processing package in C
under DOS and hoping to extend it to other operating systems later.
We've finished the major part.  But we need a nice user interface
for it.  We think wrting the package under MS-Windows will save a
lot of trouble for us.

Thanks for your information in advance,

Yuan

whipple@sun.acs.udel.edu (Peter Adams Whipple) (01/10/90)

I would highly recommend the Whitewater Resource Toolkit for Windows.  I
have it and it's been very useful.  It is the closest thing I've heard
of for Windows that is similar to ResEdit for the Mac.  It's one of
those utilities that you may not use very often, but when you do, it'll
be a lifesaver.

 \-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (01/13/90)

In article <9001092201.AA00856@piano.ctr.columbia.edu> yjj@SIRIUS.CTR.COLUMBIA.EDU writes:

>Can anyone give me some suggestion on MicroSoft Windows developing
>tools.  There are tools from MicroSoft, Whitewater and CNS (C-Talk).
>But I don't know which is more suitable for my need.

Well, I'm a little biased so I'll just give my spiel.  Basically, what is most
suitable for your needs depends on what kind of experience and background
you have.  If you've never programmed in Windows then I'd really advise
using Actor since it's interactive debugging environment and ease of use is
a real godsend.  If you're program has to do a lot of calculations then our
product may produce somewhat slower code for that, but other code can actually
end up running faster because of the optimized code we use to perform certain
operations.

If you want you can e-mail me your address and I can send you out some
literature on Actor and our other products.  If you like, you could also
call (800) 869-1144 and ask one of our sales reps for info.
--
"I place my faith in fools.  Self confidence, my friends call it."
					-Edgar Allen Poe

Patrick Deupree -> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us