[comp.windows.ms] Using OS/2 with Windows

micah@portia.Stanford.EDU (Micah Doyle) (02/07/90)

I'm interested in using OS/2 as a development environment for Windows,
i.e., do all editing, C++ compiling, etc. for a Windows program under
OS/2 (taking advantage of the multi-processing and memory protection),
and then running the result in a DOS window within OS/2.  Has anyone
tried this?  If so, what tools are you using and what problems did you
have?  Thanks for any info and advice.

						Micah Doyle

abukarb@prism.cs.orst.edu (Bassam A. Abu-Karroum) (02/08/90)

In article <8909@portia.Stanford.EDU> micah@portia.Stanford.EDU (Micah Doyle) writes:
>I'm interested in using OS/2 as a development environment for Windows,
>i.e., do all editing, C++ compiling, etc. for a Windows program under
>OS/2 (taking advantage of the multi-processing and memory protection),
>and then running the result in a DOS window within OS/2.  Has anyone
>tried this?  If so, what tools are you using and what problems did you
>have?  Thanks for any info and advice.
>
>						Micah Doyle
I worked with both OS/2 1.1 and 1.2 for developing Windows applciations.
However, you can do everything you need; editing and compiling under OS/2, but
building needs to be done in the DOS box. This is because the link4 program
which Windows uses is a real-mode only program and cannot run in the protected
mode under OS/2 (at least in my case.)

I was using Microsoft C compiler 5.1 and at installation time you need to
install for both OS/2 and DOS environments, also SDK version 2.1.

No other problems to mention (besides my own bugs.)

Bassam