[net.auto] oil query

dan@digi-g.UUCP (Dan Messinger) (09/25/84)

My owners manual recommends single viscosity oil.  It states that most people
should be changing their oil at least twice a year, so you should use the
proper single viscosity oil for the approaching season.  But who reads manuals.
I switched to a multiviscosity synthetic.

agz@pucc-k (Andrew Banta) (10/05/84)

About the owner's manual that says to use single-viscosity oil: You didn't
say, but do you own a VW, or any other air-cooled car? If so, yes! Use
single viscosity oil. NO multi-viscosity oil has been made to put up with
the heat an air cooled engine can put out. There was a reason for them to
say that.

Andy Banta			{decvax!allegra!inhp4}!pucc-k!agz
Alcohol Design and Application Corp. --- Serving people over 21 years.
"In my rearview mirror, the sun is going down ... "

dan@digi-g.UUCP (Dan Messinger) (10/09/84)

In article <> agz@pucc-k (Andrew Banta) writes:
>About the owner's manual that says to use single-viscosity oil: You didn't
>say, but do you own a VW, or any other air-cooled car? If so, yes! Use
>single viscosity oil. NO multi-viscosity oil has been made to put up with
>the heat an air cooled engine can put out. There was a reason for them to
>say that.

The vehicle in question is a full size Chevy Blazer.  Looking at my manual
again, I see that I was not entirely correct.  It recommends single
viscosity oil for summer, but multi-viscosity for winter.

wrp@ariel.UUCP (W.PENNOCK) (10/12/84)

Another factor in deciding whether to use a synthetic oil or not, is how
often you change your oil.  One reason for changing oil is to remove those
metalic particles caused by engine wear.  It doesn't matter that your oil has
not lost any of its viscosity over the last 25K miles if you are grinding
away the rings and bearings with junk left in your oil from normal wear.  You
would probably be better off using a cheaper multi grade oil, and changing
more frequently.  I personally use Castrol GTX (10W40 or 20W50 depending on
the climate), and I also change the filter with the oil every time.  I would
be embarrassed to say how often I change my oil, but I have a '78 Datsun with
80K miles on it, and I hope to get 140K+ before I give it up.

An aside evnironmental note for those of you who change your own oil:

Please make use of oil reclamation centers.  A lot of gas stations (at least
here in NJ) have receptacles for collecting waste oil.  It is illegal and
environmentally dangerous to dump waste oil down the storm drain.  There are
heavy fines if you get caught dumping oil.  I collect oil from several oil
changes in a 5 gallon can (the kind that comes with driveway resurfacing
tar, or roofing tar) and take it to the station when it gets full.

				Bill Pennock
				AT&T Information Systems
				Holmdel, NJ
				vax135!ariel!wrp