[comp.windows.ms] The journal program is faulty !

fsn@ambush.dk (Flemming Nielsen) (02/09/90)

There is a problem using the public s/w program "JOURNAL" for MS-Windows.

The way it uses the function SetWindowsHook is not correct according to
the manual. You are not supposed to uninstall a filter function by calling
SetWindowsHook with the filtertype and a NULL-pointer as it is done in the
journal program, You are supposed to use

       UnhookWindowsHook (<filter type>, <lpfnhookfct>)

BUT it does not work.

Do anybody know what is the problem using UnhookWindowsHook ?

I suppose You have noticed that the original journal program does halt
the system if You press the function keys after having uninstalled
journal by pushing <F7>. The filter is probably blocking the system.

Flemming Nielsen
AmbraSoft A/S
Stroedamvej 50 2100 Kbh. OE, Danemark

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (02/13/90)

In article <1769@ambush.dk>, fsn@ambush.dk (Flemming Nielsen) writes:
> There is a problem using the public s/w program "JOURNAL" for MS-Windows.
>
> The way it uses the function SetWindowsHook is not correct according to
> the manual. You are not supposed to uninstall a filter function by calling
> SetWindowsHook with the filtertype and a NULL-pointer as it is done in the
> journal program, You are supposed to use
>
>        UnhookWindowsHook (<filter type>, <lpfnhookfct>)
>
> BUT it does not work.
>
> Do anybody know what is the problem using UnhookWindowsHook ?
>
> I suppose You have noticed that the original journal program does halt
> the system if You press the function keys after having uninstalled
> journal by pushing <F7>. The filter is probably blocking the system.

If you read the addendum to the SDK, it states that in order to work with
expanded memory, filters must be installed using a library (DLL) with one
exception. Journal works fine on my 286 without expanded memory, but not on my
386. One of these days I'm going to take the filter handling out into a separate
library, unless someone beats me to it!
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983