[comp.windows.ms] APPLETLK.DLL in Windows 2.11

plim@Teknowledge.COM (Pean Lim) (02/10/90)

While installing Windows/286 2.11, I noticed APPLETLK.DLL for which I
could find no documentation.  Calling Microsoft Tech support produced
a interesting (to me) document which is reproduced below.  Sorry if
this info is already common knowledge...

Windows/286 and Windows/386 Version 2.11 include a Dynamic Link
Library (DLL) called APPLETLK.DLL that works through the PostScript
driver to allow PostScript printing to the AppleTalk network through
Windows.

APPLETLK.DLL works correctly ONLY with genuine Apple LocalTalk cards
on a genuine Apple network.  It does NOT work with Tops or other
"AppleTalk compatible" networks.

To use the APPLETLK.DLL:

1. Make sure the APPLETLK.DLL driver is present in your Windows
   directory.

2. Edit the WIN.INI file, and add a line to the [ports] section as
   follows:

   [ports]
   AppleTalk=

   Verify the spelling and case are correct, exactly as shown.

4. Connect the PostScript printer to this port via the Control Panel.

5. Go into the Printer Setup via the Control Panel.  You will know
the driver is installed correctly if a new "AppleTalk" button appears
in the printer driver setup screen.

6. Click on the AppleTalk button, and choose the network zone and
printer you wish to use.  You are now ready to print.

Note that this DLL works ONLY with the PostScript driver, not with
any other Windows printer driver.

Windows/286 and Windows/386 Version 2.03 and Version 2.10 do not
support printing over the AppleTalk Network.  This is also true for
Excel Versions 2.00, 2.01, and 2.10.

More Information:

If you are using an "AppleTalk compatible" network, you must print to
file from Windows, then send the file to the printer (with a utility
which is usually included with the software you are using with your
AppleTalk card)

An example of this utility is LW, the utility program included with
LocalTalk from Apple Computer Inc.  For more information, contact
Apple Computer Inc. by calling (408) 996-1010

jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) (02/13/90)

In article <2016@alfred.Teknowledge.COM> plim@Teknowledge.COM (Pean Lim) writes:
>More Information:
>
>If you are using an "AppleTalk compatible" network, you must print to
>file from Windows, then send the file to the printer (with a utility
>which is usually included with the software you are using with your
>AppleTalk card)

I run Windows/286 on my machine with a TOPS "AppleTalk compatible" card and
the TOPS network software.  With the netprint software resident you do not
need to print to a file.  I setup the Postscript printer to be connected to
LPT1:  in the control panel.  The TOPS resident program traps the calls to
the printer interrupt (INT 17) and routes the output over the network.  This
works not only for Windows but for any program which generates Postscript
output and does not write directly to the printer hardware port.

Jim Vallino	Siemens Corporate Research, Inc., Princeton, NJ
jrv@demon.siemens.com
princeton!siemens!demon!jrv
(609) 734-3331

plim@Teknowledge.COM (Pean Lim) (02/15/90)

In article <23578@siemens.siemens.com> jrv@demon.siemens.com (James R Vallino) writes:

>   I run Windows/286 on my machine with a TOPS "AppleTalk compatible" card and
>   the TOPS network software.  With the netprint software resident you do not
>   need to print to a file.  I setup the Postscript printer to be connected to
>   LPT1:  in the control panel.  The TOPS resident program traps the calls to
>   the printer interrupt (INT 17) and routes the output over the
>   network.  This works not only for Windows but for any program
>   which generates Postscript output and does not write directly to
>   the printer hardware port.

Like James, we use TOPS NetPrint (ours is ver 2.00) to print directly
from Windows apps.  While this setup works, it (i) requires purchase
of third-party memory resident software (NetPrint), and (ii) is
flakey--ocassionally Windows seizes up while printing.

There may be a newer version of NetPrint that solves this problem.
Also, perhaps APPLETLK.DLL does no better--I don't yet have the
experience (direct or shared) to say, but for now it holds out the
hope that it is better integrated with Windows than NetPrint.
Expriences to share, anyone?

-- Pean Lim

INTERNET:  plim@Teknowledge.COM
  USENET:  {uunet|ucbvax|sun|decwrl}!Teknowledge.COM!plim