[comp.windows.ms] Poor-man's windows programming?

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/03/90)

Is there any way to do windows programming without buying the SDK?
Some of us are poor students that would like to experiment writing
Windows programs, but I can't figure out how to find out what the
Windows system calls are or how to make them from MS C if I don't
have a library of windows support routines (I do have Windows/286 2.1).

Are there any PD windows libraries out there anywhere?

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

KUO@oregon.uoregon.edu (Shijong Kuo) (02/05/90)

In article <25ca3f73.ee8@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:
> Is there any way to do windows programming without buying the SDK?
> Some of us are poor students that would like to experiment writing
> Windows programs, but I can't figure out how to find out what the
> Windows system calls are or how to make them from MS C if I don't
> have a library of windows support routines (I do have Windows/286 2.1).

I have not started yet, but I understand you can develop windows appl. using
Actors, from whitewaters group. Its a object oriented language environment
implemented using the windows environment.
The cost is $99. for academic community.

kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu

akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (02/05/90)

Actor is an object-oriented language that produces Windows
executables. The academic price is $99. Suggested retail is $495. It
is produced by the Whitewater Group

	The Whitewater Group, Inc.
	Technology Innovation Center
	906 University Place,
	Evanston IL 60201
	(312) 491-2370

kartik

Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (02/13/90)

In article <25ca3f73.ee8@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

>Is there any way to do windows programming without buying the SDK?
>Some of us are poor students that would like to experiment writing
>Windows programs, but I can't figure out how to find out what the
>Windows system calls are or how to make them from MS C if I don't
>have a library of windows support routines (I do have Windows/286 2.1).

Well, John, one option is to buy Actor for $99 (the educational discount).
It won't be C code, but it will allow you to create a stand along Windows
App.  The only other option is the SDK since pretty much every other
Windows development tool requires it.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."

In article <1990Feb4.230241.3322@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>Actor is an object-oriented language that produces Windows
>executables. The academic price is $99. Suggested retail is $495.

Actually, we've gone to version 2.0 and the retail price is now $695 (we
added a lot in the way of the object library).
--

hcd@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Hugh Davis) (02/14/90)

>>Is there any way to do windows programming without buying the SDK?

>Well, John, one option is to buy Actor for $99 (the educational discount).
>It won't be C code, but it will allow you to create a stand along Windows
>App.  The only other option is the SDK since pretty much every other
>Windows development tool requires it.

I doubt you will get far in Actor either, without needing the Resource
Compiler, (RC) which comes with SDK.

kung@maven.u.washington.edu (Darwei Kung) (02/16/90)

In article <2388@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, hcd@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Hugh Davis) writes:
>>>Is there any way to do windows programming without buying the SDK?
>
>>Well, John, one option is to buy Actor for $99 (the educational discount).
>>It won't be C code, but it will allow you to create a stand along Windows
>>App.  The only other option is the SDK since pretty much every other
>>Windows development tool requires it.
>
> I doubt you will get far in Actor either, without needing the Resource
> Compiler, (RC) which comes with SDK.

Well,
  Actor does come with RC, and supports all the usual window resources.

Darwei Kung
Darwei Kung                    | Why?
KUNG@UWAV1.BITNET              | How?
KUNG@TOBY.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU   | Donno.

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (02/18/90)

In article <2388@ecs.soton.ac.uk> hcd@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Hugh Davis) writes:
>I doubt you will get far in Actor either, without needing the Resource
>Compiler, (RC) which comes with SDK.

Um, we do include the Resource Compiler with Actor.  Otherwise it would
be very, very difficult to do things (although CreateDialogIndirect
and ChangeMenu would cover a lot).