[comp.windows.ms] Protected mode + 386MAX + NetWare

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (02/14/90)

Let's assume, VERY hypothetically, that MS releases a version of Windows
that runs in 386 protected mode.  Say we're a development shop that is
using NetWare with 386MAX, in order to stick all the net software up into
high memory.  Well, this won't work -- 386MAX is protected mode software,
and so is our hypothetical version of Windows.  If we don't use 386MAX,
we don't have enough RAM to compile.

Other than rebooting each time we switch from edit/compile to testing, is
there some way we can get NetWare and this very, very hypothetical version
of Windows to coexist?  I seem to recall hearing about some hardware board
that lets you shove all the net drivers onto its own RAM.

Any concrete answers to this VERY hypothetical scenario would be appreciated.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat

pfrennin@altos86.Altos.COM (Peter Frenning) (02/15/90)

In article <3551@csccat.UUCP> larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) writes:
 >Let's assume, VERY hypothetically, that MS releases a version of Windows
 >that runs in 386 protected mode.  Say we're a development shop that is
 >using NetWare with 386MAX, in order to stick all the net software up into
 >high memory.  Well, this won't work -- 386MAX is protected mode software,
 >and so is our hypothetical version of Windows.  If we don't use 386MAX,
 >we don't have enough RAM to compile.
 >
 >Other than rebooting each time we switch from edit/compile to testing, is
 >there some way we can get NetWare and this very, very hypothetical version
 >of Windows to coexist?  I seem to recall hearing about some hardware board
 >that lets you shove all the net drivers onto its own RAM.
 >
 >Any concrete answers to this VERY hypothetical scenario would be appreciated.
 >
 >--
 >Larry Spence
 >larry@csccat
 >...{texbell,texsun,attctc}!csccat!larry

VERY hypothetically I would expect Microsoft to include a virtual driver for
Netware to allow it to coexsist with Windows:-) :-) :-) :-)
(Damn those Non-Disclosures.......)

Peter
|      Peter Frenning, Altos Computer Systems, San Jose                 |
+--------------------+--------------------------------------------------+
| Who? Me?           | USENET:         pfrennin@altos.COM               |
| No way!            | 	       {sun,amdahl}!altos!pfrennin              |
| I wouldn't even    | VOICE:          (408) 496-6700                   |
| think of doing such| SNAILMAIL:      2641 Orchard Parkway             |
| thing. It must have|                 San Jose, CA 95134               |
| been somebody else!|                                                  |
|                    | FAX:            (408) 433-9335                   |
|                PF  |                                                  |
+--------------------+--------------------------------------------------+

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (02/15/90)

Sorry for the unnecessary posting.  Although in our hypothetical
scenario, MS would provide a NetWare driver, it could, hypothetically,
have bugs in the pre-release stage.  Couldn't it, hypothetically?
Anyway, right after I posted my question, I read an article in PC Week
on exactly what we're looking for -- hardware boards that stick drivers
into their own onboard RAM.  So that should solve our hypothetical
problem.

It's useful to think about these hypothetical problems, just in case
one should happen to materialize at some point in the future.

--

adf@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Moore) (02/18/90)

>... Hardware boards that stick drivers in to there own on board ram.

I am not an expert in this area but ... wouldn't this onboard ram have to be
mapped into the area between 0 and 1 meg.  I would think this could be a problemdepending on how big your network shell is and how much of the memory map is
already taken up by things like vga, rom, etc. I would also think there would   have to be nice big block of continuous address space in that upper area, due tothe address range that card would require.

Back to the hypothetical driver for windows 3.0.  Would this hypothetical driverbe for any TSR or Network shell, or only for Netware?  Could it be hypotheticalyof course, a V86 device driver?

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+|  Brian Moore                         |                                       ||  Purdue University Computing Center  |                                       ||  Internet: xadf@vm.cc.purdue.edu     |  We are all objects in a giant C++    ||  Bitnet:   XADF@PURCCVM.BITNET       |  program.                             ||                                      |                                       |+------------------------------