[net.followup] What is this group for?

bifrost@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (04/04/85)

In article <11@wobegon.UUCP> prarie@wobegon.UUCP writes:
> I'm new to the net. What is this group for?
>
> 	-- Garrison

     Anything the other groups won't let you discuss.  Whether we
should have kicked Loki out of Asgard as soon as he spawned the Midgard
serpent, for instance.  The difference between net.general and net.misc
eludes me, however.  I think net.misc is for those people who can't
spell 'general.'  Or is it vice-versa?

Heimdall (The Bright One)
..tektronix!reed!bifrost

bifrost@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (04/07/85)

> >I'm new to the net. What is this group for?
>
> Why isn't there a net.rookie ?  It would be a wonderfull thing for
> everyone.  A haven where simple questions could be asked and standard
> articles could be exchanged.

	Aha!  So you don't know why this group exists separately from
net.misc either!  Oh, yes, I know:  This group is for items of general
interest, while net.misc is for items of a purely miscellaneous nature.
Of course.  I should have realized it all along.

Heimdall
..tektronix!reed!bifrost

"Beware, I live."

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (04/09/85)

> I'm new to the net. What is this group for?
>
> 	-- Garrison

     I may be way off here, but  I think we have been had.  I dont know
what moscvax is, but kgbcyber and nsacray3 seem to be made up.  So iI
expect wobegon!prarie are also figments of someones imagination and not
that of G.K.

           - Andy Bindman

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (04/10/85)

{ This is a late response--I haven't had a chance to read all post-April 1
 [Il Giorno dei Pesci] entries yet. If anybody else has already responded
 in this area, "never mind!" [said in my best Emily Littela voice :-)]. If
 I have guessed wrong, then at least my track record is consistent! }

Dear Andy, I think it's a really low probability that
"Garrison" actually posted that article (...but if you did, G.,
shrug off that shy person's veneer and tell us a story...).

If he did, then the listed nodes are screamingly funny and
[still] implausibly coincidental, *especially* with the given
juxtaposition:

>From allegra!ulysses!mhuxr!ihnp4!moscvax!kgbcyber!nsacray3!stonehenge!wobegon
>!prarie ....
>	      -- Garrison

	moscvax    - Moscow Vax
	kgbcyber   - KGB Cyber
	nsacray3   - National Security Agency (U.S.) Cray 3
		     [good taste in computers, wot?]

        stonehenge - Stonehenge; if it ain't a node, it oughta be since it
		     explains the rather mystical operation of UNIX

You might also note the posting date:

>From drutx!ihnp4!mhuxn!mhuxr!ulysses!allegra!alice!jj

Say, "(allegra,harpo,ulysses)!alice!jj", old buddy, by any chance are you
related to either Sidd Finch or George Plimpton? :-)

-- Jeff Shore at AT&T, Denver ("Where worlds collide..."

jj@alice.UUCP (04/11/85)

Well, folks, take a look at the original article.  It was
uux'ed (I assume) by someone into ihnp4, in a route that I don't
even have access via.  Yeah, my reply was ALSO posted 4/1, because
I'm on top of things around Wobegon.

Tsk, tsk.

??George Plimpton??  Are you one something impure?
--
TEDDY BEARS NEED SECURITY BLANKETS, WRAP YOURS TODAY!

"I think I'm going to regret this!"
ihnp4!icarus!jj