[comp.windows.ms] TI TMS340 boards for Windows?

grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) (02/12/90)

I need a faster display for Windows and am looking for recommendations
for TI TMS340xx graphics processor based boards.  So far, the only
board I have found that has Windows drivers is the NEC (or GSS)
Multi-sync Graphics Engine Board.  It's about $1400 for the 1024x768 256
color model.  Can anybody else recommend any other boards?

Mark

Mark D. Grosen		ARPA: grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu
Signal Processing Lab / Communications Research Lab
ECE Dept.
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (02/13/90)

grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) writes:

>I need a faster display for Windows and am looking for recommendations
>for TI TMS340xx graphics processor based boards.  So far, the only
>board I have found that has Windows drivers is the NEC (or GSS)
>Multi-sync Graphics Engine Board.  It's about $1400 for the 1024x768 256
>color model.  Can anybody else recommend any other boards?

As I haven't used these boards, I can't *recommend* them, but I will tell
you about them.  Both Compaq and Dell offer TI based graphics boards.  Both
offer Windows 286 and 386 drivers along with other drivers.

Compaq:

  Advanced Graphics 1024 Board
  1024x768x16, 800x600x256
  TI34010 (50Mhz)
  Built-in VGA compatibility
  $1064 plus $425 for extra 512K (I think this is the heavily discounted
    GSA price)

  I think the extra RAM provides 1024x768x256.

Dell:

  GPX-1024/16
  1024x768x16, 800x600x16, 640x480x256
  TMS34010 (50 MHz)
  VGA option available for $249
  $1099

  GPX-1024/256
  1024x768x256, 800x600x256, 640x480x256
  TMS34010 (50 MHz)
  VGA option available for $249
  $1499

I don't know why Compaq refers to the chip as the TI34010 and Dell refers
to it as the TMS34010.  I assume they are one and the same.  Hope this
helps.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                   EMAIL: marshall@wind55.seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer                VOICE: (303)231-1014

kempff@hppad.HP.COM (John Kempff) (02/22/90)

/ hppad:comp.windows.ms / grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) /  9:15 pm  Feb 11, 1990 /

I need a faster display for Windows and am looking for recommendations
for TI TMS340xx graphics processor based boards.  So far, the only
board I have found that has Windows drivers is the NEC (or GSS)
Multi-sync Graphics Engine Board.  It's about $1400 for the 1024x768 256
color model.  Can anybody else recommend any other boards?

Mark

Mark D. Grosen		ARPA: grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu
Signal Processing Lab / Communications Research Lab
ECE Dept.
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106
----------

Hi Mark.

Hewlett-Packard has two graphics cards that may interest you.

The Intelligent Graphics Controller 10 (IGC10) is a 34010 based
controller card, and the Intelligent Graphics Controller 20 (IGC20)
is a 34020 based controller card.  From experience I know that the
IGC10 card comes with a Windows286 and Windows386 driver.  I believe
that the IGC20 also has window drivers for it.

By the way the part numbers for these cards are:
IGC10 is A1086A and the IGC20 is A1083A.

Call your local HP sales office or sales rep for more information.

John Kempff
kempff@hppad.HP.COM