[comp.windows.ms] Shared memory between applications

swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) (02/21/90)

Can anyone tell me what mechanism can be used to share
a memory area between applictions. What I am trying
to accomplish is to have a server process directly
manipulate a memory area and have several other
applications access the information in this "global" area.

I know that one can use DDE for such an application,
but that seems overkill for what I am trying to do.

thanks, glenn
--
Glenn L. Swonk		CCI Computers
(714)458-7282		9801 Muirlands Boulevard

marco@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Marco Dalla-Gasperina) (02/22/90)

>/ hpmcaa:comp.windows.ms / swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) / 10:17 am  Feb 20, 1990 /
>Can anyone tell me what mechanism can be used to share
>a memory area between applictions. What I am trying
>to accomplish is to have a server process directly
>manipulate a memory area and have several other
>applications access the information in this "global" area.
>
>I know that one can use DDE for such an application,
>but that seems overkill for what I am trying to do.
>

>thanks, glenn
>--
>Glenn L. Swonk		CCI Computers
>(714)458-7282		9801 Muirlands Boulevard
>			Irvine, CA 92718
>uunet!ccicpg!swonk
>----------

You can use GlobalAlloc(GMEM_LOWER |....,lNumBytes), then pass the
handle returned to other applications.

marco

ih@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Ian Heath) (02/22/90)

swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) writes:

>Can anyone tell me what mechanism can be used to share
>a memory area between applictions. What I am trying
>to accomplish is to have a server process directly
>manipulate a memory area and have several other
>applications access the information in this "global" area.

>I know that one can use DDE for such an application,
>but that seems overkill for what I am trying to do.

If you specify GMEM_SHARE as a flag in a call to GlobalAlloc(), the
memory allocated can be shared by any application that knows the handle.
(This flag is also used by the DDE for passing data between applications).