[comp.windows.ms] Is OnLine worth the money?

ekelly@vax1.tcd.ie (02/23/90)

I am debating about subscribing to MicroSoft OnLine.
Could I have opinions please about its usefulness?

Is there anyone out there using it from Dublin who would be willing to talk
about it over the phone?

I am trying to develop an application  to communicate with Excel using DDE. I
have doubts about the completeness of the documentation as despite
using the SDK and
Excel manuals I cannot interpret the contents of the message block coming from
Excel. I hope OnLine will help, but it is an expensive gamble to take sight
unseen.

Eamon Kelly
EKELLY@vax1.tcd.ie

vpsingha@athena.mit.edu (Vivek P. Singhal) (02/24/90)

In article <5775.25e520e8@vax1.tcd.ie> ekelly@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>I am debating about subscribing to MicroSoft OnLine.
>Could I have opinions please about its usefulness?

To a large degree, the usefulness of Microsoft Online depends on how
you use it.  It is an excellent source of sample source code, late
breaking bug fixes and updates, and information about Microsoft's
system software.  However, they won't be able to solve every single
technical problem you may have, though they can usually point you in
the right direction.  If your development heavily depends on the use
of Microsoft products, it is quite essential for the serious
developer.

I've heard complaints about the cost of subscribing to OnLine; however,
in many cases OnLine can pay for itself if is helps to solve even one
major roadblock.  Moreover, the software used to access the service is
batch-oriented, helping to cut down on the hourly cost of the service.

One of its most valuable features is the the ability to submit service
requests about development problems you may have.  Since you assign
the priority of the S.R., you have some control over how long it will
take to get a response.  Granted, for some problems you can get free
help from UseNet or Genie readers, but with an OnLine S.R, you're
guaranteed that someone will at least address your problem.

>I am trying to develop an application  to communicate with Excel using DDE. I
>have doubts about the completeness of the documentation as despite
>using the SDK and Excel manuals I cannot interpret the contents of
>the message block coming from Excel. I hope OnLine will help, but it
>is an expensive gamble to take sight unseen.

As I recall, the OnLine Software Library had a developer's kit for
writing windows applications that communicated with Excel via DDE.  I
don't know how useful it will be to you, but at least it's a starting
point.

Hope this helps,

Vivek

Disclaimer:  I'm not associated w/ Microsoft, just a satisfied user.

| Vivek Singhal:  vpsingha@athena.mit.edu        474 Memorial Drive         |
|                 (617) 621-0405                 Cambridge, MA 02139        |
|___________________________________________________________________________|

balaji@nsc.nsc.com (Balaji Pitchaikani) (02/27/90)

In article <5775.25e520e8@vax1.tcd.ie> ekelly@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>I am debating about subscribing to MicroSoft OnLine.
>Could I have opinions please about its usefulness?

	 I am also debating on the issue!
	 What do subscribers feel about OnLine Service.
	 Is it VALUE FOR MONEY?

>Eamon Kelly

balaji
(balaji@nsc.nsc.com)