[comp.windows.ms] Windows comm programs

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (11/18/89)

I finally got my Windows 386 going, so now I'm more
interested in Windows-based communications programs
than I was before.  I snarfed WINQVT from Simtel20,
and it works pretty well for terminal emulation and
file transfer.

One problem, though is that the terminal emulation
window is not large enough on my hi-res monitor, on
which the "big" size is small and the "small" size
is microscopic.  It looks like the two sizes are
given in terms of pixels.  There's a related factor
about the font it uses.  Yet the file transfer window
is much larger and seems to use the regular windows
screen font.

My question: since I can now multitask, I'd like to
find a good comm program to run under windows that
doesn't present these problems (or maybe I should
hope the WINQVT gets some new features?).

Anybody have anything to recommend?  VT100/102/220
emulation would be best, since it's a Vax I talk
to, primarily.

==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |
| Home: 2838 Stevens St., 53705, 608/238-4833   Bitnet: anderson@wiscmacc  |
==Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu====UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson==

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (02/23/90)

I bought Crosstalk for Windows last weekend. I'm NOT impressed!

I would say that it is not very user friendly

The phonebook, which I consider to be the gateway, is, IMHO, poorly
designed. Details upon request.

What other full bodied comm programs for Windows are out there?

Thanx!

                                 - MJB -

                         USENET:   mjb@cup.portal.com

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (02/24/90)

In article <27246@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
>I bought Crosstalk for Windows last weekend. I'm NOT impressed!
>I would say that it is not very user friendly
>The phonebook, which I consider to be the gateway, is, IMHO, poorly
>designed. Details upon request.
>What other full bodied comm programs for Windows are out there?

Why not try a shareware program (A GOOD ONE) like Telix. Telix
works great in a window. You can find the latest version of
Telix available for anonymous ftp here in Vaasa, Finland. It's
in our pc/comm directory. Address below.

--

	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)-------------
			University of Vaasa, Finland

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (02/25/90)

In article <27246@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
>I bought Crosstalk for Windows last weekend. I'm NOT impressed!
>
>I would say that it is not very user friendly
>
>The phonebook, which I consider to be the gateway, is, IMHO, poorly
>designed. Details upon request.
>
>What other full bodied comm programs are out there...

I have been using Crosstalk for Windows for some time now and find it to be at
least average. I agree that the Phone Book is poorly designed. I believe that
the features are mainly ports from the DOS equivalents. There are two other
pakages I have heard of. One is called APE; it was reviewed in a PC Magazine
First Look article and I can't remember the Company's name. The other is
Dynacomm. It was the first out and I believe MS uses it extensively. There
product support folks regularly recommended it before DCA shipped XTALK for
Windows. It also got good reviews in several Pubs. I have seen it advertised,
but have yet found someone who carries it. Of course, I was too lazy to call
the makers directly.

I am satisfied with Xtalk and since I use WIN386 I also can run my procomm
software in a window. Background file transfers are the plus for me right
now and Xtalk has a pretty extensive script language.

Here's my two questions:

	1. How do you mark text to be copied in the Xtalk window, and
	2. Has anyone used Dynacomm? What do you think?

I will summerize if you email me.

Richard Oppenheimer
Computer Science Center
University of Maryland, College Park
oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (02/27/90)

In article <27246@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:

>I bought Crosstalk for Windows last weekend. I'm NOT impressed!
>I would say that it is not very user friendly
>The phonebook, which I consider to be the gateway, is, IMHO, poorly
>designed. Details upon request.
>What other full bodied comm programs for Windows are out there?

After I bought Crosstalk for Windows, tried it, and found several
bugs, I phoned PC-Connection (whom I bought it from) and told them:

1) I hated the program

2) I found bugs in it

3) Crosstalk should be embarrassed to charge $129 for it, since I
don't believe it is worth that price

4) The Shareware program QVT is just as good if not better (however,
Crosstalk does have a more extensive script language)

5)  Since PC Connection provides recommendations to their users, they
should avoid this program and recommend ProComm Plus.

PC Connection said if I shipped Crosstalk for Windows back with
everything that originally came with the program (manuals, disks,
registration card, etc) they would gladly provide a refund.  I did,
and they did.  They guy on the phone said that he uses Procomm Plus
and wouldn't switch.  I told him that was a smart move since it's
about half the price of Crosstalk for Windows and about twice the
value.

PC Connection gives excellent customer service.  I estimate that I've
bought about $2K worth of stuff from them.  Obviously, I intend to
continue doing business with them.  Good company!

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (02/27/90)

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:

>I bought Crosstalk for Windows last weekend. I'm NOT impressed!

>I would say that it is not very user friendly

>The phonebook, which I consider to be the gateway, is, IMHO, poorly
>designed. Details upon request.

I've had it for a few weeks now.  I intended to use it for reading
news articles on UseNet.  I wanted to capture an article that I wanted
to followup, edit it using Word for Windows and paste the article back
into vi (I HATE vi).  The only problem is that Crosstalk can only display
data at about 4800 baud (at least on my Dell 325). I normally log in at
19200.  When I paste the revised article into vi, I get millions of bells
as the Unix host echos back the incoming text.  Crosstalk can't keep up
with it, so it beeps when the buffer is full.  I have enabled both hardware
handshaking and XON/XOFF.  A data scope told me that it was the PC that
was originating the bells - not the Unix system.  Microstuf figured it was
the remote host.  If I slow down to 9600, it still happens, but not as
badly.  If I slow down to 4800, it goes away.

I also timed how long it took to fill the screen.  It's the same for 4800
as it is for 9600 and 19200.  There must be too much graphics overhead
to draw the screen quickly.  I guess I need that 100 MHz 80686.  Alas,
maybe someday, the hardware will catch up with the software - but I
doubt it.  I'll just want to run more powerful software.

I also notice that when I'm editing with vi, I loose cursor positioning
information.  Text gets inserted at a place different from where the
cursor is displayed.  I don't have this problem at 19200 with Crosstalk
XVI or Mark 4.

Anyway, I've gone back to using Crosstalk Mark 4.  Crosstalk for Windows
just doesn't work well.  It's too bad, cause after I figured out how to
set things up (not obvious), it seemed like a decent program.  I wonder
if Windows/386 v. 3.0 will help any.

Now, I guess I'm looking for a good Windows comm program that runs at 19200
and can reliably cut and paste to/from WinWord.  Anybody seen one?
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                   EMAIL: marshall@wind55.seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer                VOICE: (303)231-1014