[comp.windows.ms] 386SX and 386 Windows bug cont

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (02/25/90)

  About a week ago I posted a message about running 386 version of
windows on a DataExpert 386SX machine. It appears to be a combination
of hardware and firmware that cause the problem.

  C&T Chipset
  Adaptec RLL controller Model 2370T
  AMI Bios

 I use the onboard controller adpatec bios to format the drive. Also useing
AMI's bios I set the drive type to 47 user defined. Now what appearently
happens is when I try to initialize 'win386' it takes the memory mapped
in by the Bios (somewhere around the controller bios) and gives it over
to windows 386 as Extended memory to convert over to EMS memory. It's
either that or the AMI Bios is relocateing the Adaptec controller bios.
This is my best guess. I have had previous experience with AMI's bios
incorrectly handleing disk drive controllers.  Other than changeing my
Bios over to Phenoix, or takeing the dealers suggestion like don't use
that disk controller. I there a way to get Windows 386 not to map
certain regions of memory? Also I would like to hear from anyone else
who has run into this problem and has any workarounds or fixes.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

chan@chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) (02/27/90)

In article <1006@fiver.UUCP>, palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>   About a week ago I posted a message about running 386 version of
> windows on a DataExpert 386SX machine. It appears to be a combination
> of hardware and firmware that cause the problem.
>
>   C&T Chipset
>   Adaptec RLL controller Model 2370T
>   AMI Bios

[This is a data point; maybe someone out there may be able to use this info
 to solve this or related problems...]

I have tried the following combo with flakey results:

    C&T Chipset
    AMI Bios (Monolithic Systems Corp. 386 motherboard)
    Adaptec RLL 2372 w/2 disks attached
    Windows SMARTDRV.SYS or PC-Tools PC-Cache
    QEMM386 / 386-to-the-Max EMM manager

Symptoms:

    Directories (cached) would get munged, leading to munged directory
        listings and eventually a hang; directory fixed by a reboot
    SMARTDRV.SYS would report the wrong drive parameters (hds, cyl's,
        sectors/track) on the second drive
    Programs using timer interrupts would run 10x's slower (i.e., coretest)
    System would correct itself if one of the following were removed:

        * One of the disk caching programs
        * QEMM386 or 386MAX expanded memory manager
        * Adaptec controller

    If the Adaptec controller were replaced with a WD1003RA2, all problems
        go away.  The Adaptec seems to be the least common denominator for
        these problems.

    Noting that Windows 386 has a built-in expanded memory manager, Bob's
        problems sound extremely similar to mine.

Any ideas?

Anybody want to buy a spare Adaptec 2372 RLL controller ? :-)
--
Jerry Chan 508-853-0747, Fax 508-853-2262  |"My views necessarily reflect the
Chan Smart!Ware Computer Services & Prods  | views of the Company because