[comp.windows.ms] The mims-iris font archive

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (02/27/90)

		    The mims-iris Font Archive
		    --------------------------

SUMMARY:

The mims-iris font archive is a publicly accessible location for fonts;
it is primarily oriented towards LaserJet fonts, although it does have
some others as well (PostScript and VGA).  The archive contains currently
some 8.0 MB of fonts and font utilities, compressed with either compress(1)
or PKZIP.  All of the fonts and utilities are, to the best of my knowledge,
freely distributable, although some are shareware.

ACCESS:

To access the archive via ftp, use the ftp program to connect to
mims-iris.waterloo.edu (129.97.129.116); use userid 'ftp' and enter your
real userid as the password.  Use binary mode to transfer all compressed
files.  NOTE:  Please try to avoid accessing the archive between 8 AM and
5 PM EST, as our network links are heavily loaded.  Thanks!

To access the archive by mail, send a mail message to the userid
font-server@mims-iris.waterloo.edu with your request(s) in the message
body.  You might start by sending a message 'help' or asking for the
index ('send index').  The message for 'help' contains a list of
accessible directories and their aliases.  The mail server usually
responds quite quickly; if you get no response within a few days, send
a note to font-panic@mims-iris.waterloo.edu.

There is no anonymous uucp access available -- sorry!

ORGANIZATION:

The software is generally available in the ~/fonts directory; the
following are the most significant subdirectories:

	~/fonts/300pk		LaserJet fonts in .300pk format
	~/fonts/300pk/hershey	Hershey fonts in .300pk format
	~/fonts/300pk/jetroff	JetRoff fonts in .300pk format
	~/fonts/tex		LaserJet font TeX support files
	~/fonts/tex/hershey	LaserJet Hershey font TeX support files
	~/fonts/tex/metafont	LaserJet font TeX metafont files
	~/fonts/sfp		LaserJet fonts in .sfp format
	~/fonts/sfp/cm		The Computer Modern fonts in .sfp format

	~/fonts/deskjet		DeskJet fonts
	~/fonts/hershey		Hershey fonts
	~/fonts/ps		PostScript fonts
	~/fonts/qms		QMS fonts
	~/fonts/vga		VGA screen fonts

	~/fonts/util		Font utilities
	~/fonts/util/src	Font utilities source, where available

Contributions are always welcome.  In particular, I'm looking for font
conversion programs for just about every font format.  Please mail them
to tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu or place them in the ~/new directory with
an explanatory note.

[ \tom haapanen -- university of waterloo -- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu    ]
[ "i say what i say, but i say it for myself and myself only" -- me        ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"                -- al capone ]

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (03/02/90)

John R. Dudeck <jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> writes:
> Are there any fonts for MS Windows there?  I didn't see what looked like
> MS Windows fonts in the list, but perhaps it just wasn't mentioned.

Sorry, no!  But if someone's got some free Windows fonts, I'd love to hear
from them.  Or maybe a way to generate Windows fonts from HP softfonts?
Or from something else?  I suppose I could write yet another font conversion
program, but I'm a little bit low on spare time right now...

If you're willing to contribute, plese send me email!

[ \tom haapanen -- university of waterloo -- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu    ]
[ "i say what i say, but i say it for myself and myself only" -- me        ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"                -- al capone ]

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (03/05/90)

I'd love to hear if anybodys got a screen font for the HP Math character sets.
WYSIWYG word processing is great, but if only i could do equations.

tim takahashi