[comp.windows.ms] Dialog box editor

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (03/07/90)

Does anybody know a substitute for the brain-dead Dialog Box Editor
of the Windows SDK 2.1 ?

This program always changes the positions of some controls on our boxes
itself after loading/saving the files and this looks very ugly. Also,
somtimes it crashes (god knows why) and makes serious errors in
repainting the boxes after changes in the styles.

Kai Uwe Rommel
Munich
rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de

whipple@sun.acs.udel.edu (Peter Adams Whipple) (03/07/90)

I haven't used the SDK dialog editor, so I can't comment on that.  I use
the Whitewater Resource Toolkit from The Whitewater Group (600 Davis
Street, Evanston, Illinois 60201 USA; list price $195 US) for resource
editing.  In addition to a dialog editor, it includes editors for bitmaps,
cursors, icons, accelerators, menus, and strings.  I find it invaluable
when I need it.

-- Peter

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (03/07/90)

In article <1276@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
>Does anybody know a substitute for the brain-dead Dialog Box Editor
>of the Windows SDK 2.1 ?

Yep.  The Whitewater Resource Toolkit.  Our dialog box editor is really nice,
plus the Toolkit has a menu editor, bitmap editor (color and greater than
90 x 90), icon editor, cursor editor, menu editor, accelerator table editor,
and string table editor.  It can create new resources and save them as script
files, res files, or it can save the directly into the EXE.  It can also read
resources directly from the EXE.

You can e-mail me  an address and I can send literature about this product.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."