[comp.windows.ms] Converting CorelDRAW fonts?

sjw@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Steven J. Walsh) (03/01/90)

I am using (and very pleased with) CorelDRAW.
It comes with a large variety of very attractive fonts, and I
was wondering if anyone knows how to convert these fonts
so that other windows programs can use them.

(Apoligies if the answer is blatantly obvious.)

  __            _    _
 (  __ __  _   /    /         ____...___/>   Walsh@Wilma.Wharton.Upenn.Edu
__) / /= \/=   \_X_/.         ~ (_III_) \>     SJW@Eniac.Seas.Upenn.Edu

jap@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Adrian Pickering) (03/02/90)

| I am using (and very pleased with) CorelDRAW.
| It comes with a large variety of very attractive fonts, and I
| was wondering if anyone knows how to convert these fonts
| so that other windows programs can use them.

The answer is rather the other way round.  If you have v1.1 choose
your fonts and have Corel use them by converting them to .wfn format using
their WFNBOSS utility.  By and large people aren't too generous when
it comes to giving high quality font information away!
--
Adrian
==

===

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Fountain) (03/03/90)

sjw@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Steven J. Walsh) writes:

>I am using (and very pleased with) CorelDRAW.
>It comes with a large variety of very attractive fonts, and I
>was wondering if anyone knows how to convert these fonts
>so that other windows programs can use them.

The problem is that corel fonts are not hinted, that is they don't look
very good at small resolutions. There are two ways I can suggest you
could try:

1. Cut some text out of Corel and it will be put on the clipboard as a
Metafile. You can now paste it into products like Windows Write and it
makes a good headline. The disadvantages are that it only looks good if
the size is over about 24 points because of the hinting problem above;
also you are stuck with the wording and can only change by going back
into Corel.

2. Use a program like snap or blowup to cut fonts out of Corel screens
as bitmaps, and paste them into the font editor. The fine tuning can be
done by hand in the font editor. This is very time-consuming but does
work. (I have generated a Greek font in a similar manner.)

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk                  Andrew Fountain
Tel: +44 703 592831                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science
Fax: +44 703 593045                  University of Southampton
Telex: 47661 SOTONU G                Southampton  SO9 5NH  England

freak@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (c.e.malloy..iii) (03/08/90)

.
.1. Cut some text out of Corel and it will be put on the clipboard as a
.Metafile. You can now paste it into products like Windows Write and it
.makes a good headline. The disadvantages are that it only looks good if
.the size is over about 24 points because of the hinting problem above;
.also you are stuck with the wording and can only change by going back
.into Corel.
.
.2. Use a program like snap or blowup to cut fonts out of Corel screens
.as bitmaps, and paste them into the font editor. The fine tuning can be
.done by hand in the font editor. This is very time-consuming but does
.work. (I have generated a Greek font in a similar manner.)
.

That's a GREAT amount of work for something that is very easy.
If you like a font, buy it.  Try Adobe. All of the fonts in Corel Draw
version 1.1 are copies of Adobe PostScript fonts.

Clancy Malloy
AT&T Bell Labs
att!ihlpf!cem