[comp.windows.ms] CodeView

cig@genrad.UUCP (Charles I. Ganimian Jr.) (12/16/88)

Hello,
	I had been having problems getting codeview to run
	with my NEC 386 using QEMM (limulator) and windows 286
	and also with windows 386 (no QEMM).

	The problem was that the bios does not correctly handle
	the com ports. Kermit worked as did procomm so we knew
	something was weird (they are aware of the bug and fix it).

	This was a very elusive problem we got 386max and we still
	could not find it. It worked on GOLDSTAR 286 with a AST
	Rampage so we knew it had to work.  We were about to give
	up when someone remembered an old bios bug and a TSR that
	fixed it (async.com).

			just data...

					charlie g

eric@cfi.COM (eric) (03/12/90)

Could some one who has successfully used 'cvw' with two monitors
mail me the necessary incantations (compile options, batch files,
whatever)?  I can get the displays going, but CodeView doesn't know
anything about the program to be debugged and won't execute it, and
I don't have the PC experience to proceed.

Thank you.

--
  Eric Read                     ` | '       harvard!cfisun!eric  (617) 899-6500
  Price Waterhouse / CFI        --*--         Look!  Skeletons

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (03/14/90)

In article <782@venus.UUCP> eric@cfi.COM () writes:
>Could some one who has successfully used 'cvw' with two monitors
>mail me the necessary incantations (compile options, batch files,
>whatever)?  I can get the displays going, but CodeView doesn't know
>anything about the program to be debugged and won't execute it, and
>I don't have the PC experience to proceed.

You need to do several things, none complicated.  First, you must compile
your routines with the -Zi option, which generates cv data in the object
files.  Next, you must link with the /co option, which causes the linker
to pass all that slop on into the .exe.  Finally, assuming I remember the
switches right, you start up cvw roughly like this:

	cvw /2 /l yourprog.exe \path\win.com yourprog.exe

Presumably the version of win.com you point it to is the debugging version,
and is the first version found in the PATH env. var. as well.  You have
to include the full path for win.com.  Finally, I do all this with version
5.1 of C and 2.1x of the SDK.

The /l (letter L) parameter may have been what you missed.  It's what tells
cvw how to find the symbols in your program.
--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com