[comp.windows.ms] How configurable is Windows?

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (Richard Hesketh) (03/14/90)

I would like to know about any mechanisms and tools available in Windows
(any version or incarnation) that allow the user to modify his windows and
working environment.  Examples of configuration/tailoring tools in other
window systems are ResEdit on the Mac and the resources database on the
X Window System.

How configurable are Windows?
How are these mechanisms presented to the user? (editors/dialog boxes/files)
Can I change colours, font, titles?
Can I create new pull-down menu entries?
Can I combine tasks via "batch" files and have then visibly executable
 .. eg from a menu or other buttons/dialog boxes?

I'm really looking for references to papers/reviews/articles that give answers
to these questions.  I don't have direct access to Windows so manuals
are a bit short on the ground!

thanks for any info,

Richard

Richard Hesketh   :   @nsfnet-relay.ac.uk:rlh2@ukc.ac.uk
		  :   rlh2@ukc.ac.uk    ..!mcvax!ukc!rlh2
---
Computing Lab., University of Kent at Canterbury,
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF, United Kingdom.    Tel: +44 227 764000 ext 3682/7620

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Fountain) (03/15/90)

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (Richard Hesketh) writes:

>I would like to know about any mechanisms and tools available in Windows
>(any version or incarnation) that allow the user to modify his windows and
>working environment.  Examples of configuration/tailoring tools in other
>window systems are ResEdit on the Mac and the resources database on the
>X Window System.

>How configurable are Windows?
>How are these mechanisms presented to the user? (editors/dialog boxes/files)
>Can I change colours, font, titles?

The control panel will allow colour changes.

>Can I create new pull-down menu entries?

Yes, with programs like Command Post.

>Can I combine tasks via "batch" files and have then visibly executable
> .. eg from a menu or other buttons/dialog boxes?

Yes, with Command Post.

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk                  Dr. Andrew Fountain
Tel: +44 703 592831                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science
Fax: +44 703 593045                  University of Southampton
Telex: 47661 SOTONU G                Southampton  SO9 5NH  England