[comp.windows.ms] Excel and Windows

craig@unify.uucp (Craig Isaacs) (03/17/90)

Has anyone tried to use the yen symbol in an Excel spreadsheet?

Currently, I use the control panel to change my currency symbol to
the pound, DM, F, etc, but I cannot get Excel to understand that
I have selected Japan as my default country.  Any ideas/suggestions?

advTHANKSance!

Craig Isaacs                                      internet: craig@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation                           ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!craig

abukarb@prism.cs.orst.edu (Bassam A. Abu-Karroum) (03/17/90)

In article <heq7smr@unify.uucp> craig@unify.UUCP (Craig Isaacs) writes:
>Has anyone tried to use the yen symbol in an Excel spreadsheet?
>
>Currently, I use the control panel to change my currency symbol to
>the pound, DM, F, etc, but I cannot get Excel to understand that
>I have selected Japan as my default country.  Any ideas/suggestions?

Excel have problems using the specified currency symbols set in the control
panel, Japan is one and you can call Microsoft Technical Support at
(206)454-2030 for the others. To use the Yen sign you have to enter it
manually in the desired cell or you can use Format.Number. To enter the Yen
hold down the Alt key and using the separate numeric keypad enter 157 then
release the Alt key.

This is the only workaround that I'm familiar with, hope it helps.

Bassam