[comp.windows.ms] background picture in Windows?

rossp@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Ross PORTER) (03/21/90)

Does anyone know of a program that displays a picture (.pcx or whatever)
(rather than a pattern) as the background (a.l.a. Mac) in Windows?

Thanks,

Ross Porter
rossp@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca

green@ai.toronto.edu (Anthony Thomas Green) (03/21/90)

In article <2568@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca> rossp@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca (Ross PORTER) writes:
>Does anyone know of a program that displays a picture (.pcx or whatever)
>(rather than a pattern) as the background (a.l.a. Mac) in Windows?

This is impossible to do with the current release of Windows.

Anthony Green
green@ai.toronto.edu

"I know nothing! Nothing!" - Shultz

ntaib@aqua.ucs.indiana.edu (03/21/90)

In article <2568@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca>, rossp@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Ross PORTER) writes...
>Does anyone know of a program that displays a picture (.pcx or whatever)
>(rather than a pattern) as the background (a.l.a. Mac) in Windows?

Use HdC Windows manager. One of the "microapps" allows one to specify
a picture to use as a background, and also allows for a screen saver.
The bundled "picture" is, of course, a big "HdC". The companion HdC
Windows Express is also worth getting.

mikew@athena.mit.edu (Michael B Williams) (03/23/90)

!In article <90Mar20.185925est.10496@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu>,
PORTER) writes:
!> >Does anyone know of a program that displays a picture (.pcx or whatever)
!> >(rather than a pattern) as the background (a.l.a. Mac) in Windows?
!>
!> This is impossible to do with the current release of Windows.
!>

It must be possible, because I've seen it done before.  I think the guy used
one of the hDC utilities, perhaps hDC Windows Manager.

                                                     ___
Michael B. Williams		      |	       /|  /|   )|  /|  /
Laboratory for Computer Science	      |	     /  |/  |___)|/  |/
Massachusetts Institute of Technology |	Internet: mikew@athena.mit.edu
545 Technology Square		      |	CompuServe: 73667,3264
Cambridge, MA 02139		      |	AT&T: (617) 253-6015