[comp.windows.ms] mundane question concerning Windows 3

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (04/09/90)

In article <19520@grebyn.com>, ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden) writes:
> Like, how much am all this business gonna set me back??
>
> I had assumed something like $200, which would fall near my own personal
> threshold of total pain for such a thing, but at least one of the yuppie
> stores around here is saying $600, and this one is the low-rate
> yuppie store and, if this is not some kind of a mistake, then it appears
> to be time to make the jump to ESIX (around $600 from Programmers' Shop)
> and say a final farewell to Gates, Microsoft et. al. at this juncture.

What pieces are you talking about?  Just Windows 3.0 for a 286,
Windows 3.0 for a 386 (since we're not sure yet if they will be
packaged separately like they are for Windows 2.*), the SDK, or
what?  What about the cost of upgrading from a previous version
of Windows?

If it's just for the OS, no C compiler or SDK, then I have a hard
time believing it ... that's around twice the cost of OS/2, after
all!!

I have a suspicion that either the store was quoting more than
just the OS, or else that they didn't really know and were trying
to cover their a** so that they didn't lose money on the quote.

					Bruce C. Wright