[comp.windows.ms] Hi-res. Windows/386 w/ ATI VGA card

silos@bench.sublink.ORG (Paolo Pennisi) (04/01/90)

In article <1990Mar28.192709.26244@seri.gov>, marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
[...]
> I used to use 800x600, but the letters were too small for me to read
> comfortably.  The flicker was really annoying.  I bought a 16" tube
> from Dell which helps with the small letters, but it still flickers.
> That's because the board is interlaced.
>
> >	Another (probably) related question..
> >	Whenever I run vsetup provided by ATI, I notice I was using an VGA
> >	monitor but not an ANALOG one which I keep on selecting as the power
> >	up choice. On the other hand, vsetup tells me that it detects my
> >	NEC 3D. How do I make windows/386 know my monitor can handle 1024x768?
>
> It's not the monitor.  It's the card.  See above.
[...]

I'm sure that the ATI vga Wonder doesn't interlace at 800x600 resolution,
and it interlaces at 1024x768 only if the monitor can't handle the full
resolution. For this purposes you have the capability to tell the board
precisely which kind of analog/multisynch monitor you have.
Remember that the ATI vga autodetects the kind of monitor, but I think
that is impossible to detect also brand name and fine resolution.

Disclaimer: I don't work for ATI, neither I will be paid for this comment.
--
 (ARPA) silos@bench.sublink.ORG				Paolo Pennisi
 (BANG) ...!deejay!bench!silos				via Solari 19

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (04/10/90)

> 	I have problem putting windows/386 into hi-resolution (1024x768) mode
> 	on my Gateway 2000 386/20. I have ATI VGA WONDER w/512KB on it and
> 	NEC 3D multisync monitor. I did everything the ATI manual said (i.e.,
> 	I put the driver in a formatted blank disk, let windows/386 setup
> 	program read them). But nothing happened. I did not notice any
> 	difference between using or not using these drivers. The windows seems
> 	to use its built in vga driver. The PC Magazine window benchmark
> 	test (bench30.exe) said I still have 640 pixels per line and 480
> 	raster lines. What did I miss here? Will I notice the difference when
> 	windows is running in 1024x768 mode?
>
> 	Another (probably) related question..
> 	Whenever I run vsetup provided by ATI, I notice I was using an VGA
> 	monitor but not an ANALOG one which I keep on selecting as the power
> 	up choice. On the other hand, vsetup tells me that it detects my
> 	NEC 3D. How do I make windows/386 know my monitor can handle 1024x768?

If the ATI card does not support interlaced mode (IBM's 8514/A) then the NEC 3D
can not display 1024x768. The 3D only supports 1024x768 in interlaced mode. The
4D and 5D support the non-interlaced mode.

Signature under construction

       ______
      /     |                   Richard Oppenheimer
      |     \/                  Computer Science Center
      |     Ri                  University of Maryland
    __|__          __           College Park, Maryland ,USA
    |   |  |______|| \          oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (office)
    |   |   OO  OO--0-|         richard@wam.umd.edu (home)
My employer cares not what I think and knows not what I say. The
opinons expressed herein are my own and are not endorsed by the
Computer Science Center.

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (04/10/90)

     The ATI VGA Wonder card will definitely give 1024 x 768.  I am using this
now on a Seiko monitor, both with WINDOWS 386 and with the run time package
that comes with WORD for WINDOWS.  Read the instructions very carefully about
how to install WINDOWS.  A special driver has to be built which seems to
combine information both from your WINDOWS release disk, and from the ATI disk.
The procedure is complicated and takes a couple of peculiar floppy disk swaps
before the driver is created.  Try to install WINDOWS from scratch following
the ATI procedures exactly.
     The NEC 3D should give 1024 x 768.  As a quick test not involving the
WINDOWS package, there is software with the card which will check out the
ability of the monitor to display various resolutions.  The drivers which are
created for the high resolution WINDOWS 386 also work for the run-time WINDOWS
package for WINWORD.  WINWORD in 1024 x 768 is glorious - you get to see about
10 inches of page width, although the characters are smaller.  I think that
what is done is to draw the characters with the same number of pixels, but just
increase the space in which they can be drawn.
     For further help, you may E-mail me.

Bruce Dunn  a753@mindlink.UUCP