[comp.windows.ms] MS Word for Win. low memory problems

neilh@microsoft.UUCP (Neil HOOPMAN) (04/10/90)

In art <69220001@hpl-opus.HP.COM> knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:
>I am getting low memory errors if I have 3 or 4 windows open. The thing is,
>I have 4 Meg of RAM. Certainly the windows couldn't need this much. I tried
>making all the memory extended, which is what I think the program wants, but
>I still get the error. Does anyone know what the problem is?

You want to make sure that you are using a some type of memory manager
that provides LIM 4.0.  Depending on the type of computer
you have, it may have come with it.  There are also products like
386MAX that will do this for you.  If you are purchasing Windows,
Windows/386 will provide this.

You can tell if Word is using your expanded memory in the Help/About
dialog.  If you do not currently have a memory manager installed,
WinWord is running in the base 640K.  Installing a manager will give
you quite a performance improvement.

Hope that helps,
--Neil

------------ Neil Hoopman - Microsoft -- uunet!microsoft!neilh -------------
    "Carpe Diem.  Seize the day.  Make your lives extraordinary."  - DPS
------------- Microsoft owns the keyboard.  I own the fingers. -------------

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (04/11/90)

neilh@microsoft.UUCP (Neil HOOPMAN) writes:

>In art <69220001@hpl-opus.HP.COM> knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:
>>I am getting low memory errors if I have 3 or 4 windows open. The thing is,
>>I have 4 Meg of RAM. Certainly the windows couldn't need this much. I tried
>>making all the memory extended, which is what I think the program wants, but
>>I still get the error. Does anyone know what the problem is?

>You want to make sure that you are using a some type of memory manager
>that provides LIM 4.0.  Depending on the type of computer
>you have, it may have come with it.  There are also products like
>386MAX that will do this for you.  If you are purchasing Windows,
>Windows/386 will provide this.

>You can tell if Word is using your expanded memory in the Help/About
>dialog.  If you do not currently have a memory manager installed,
>WinWord is running in the base 640K.  Installing a manager will give
>you quite a performance improvement.

I have the same problem running WinWord with Win386 on a 4 meg machine.
I complained about this while it was still in beta test.  If I remember
right, it's the base memory you are running out of - not expanded.  One
support person suggested I start windows with a /L-200 option.  It didn't
help.  Recently, another MS support person said it should be /L+200.  Since
I've gone back to using PC Word, I don't know if it will really help.

BTW, MS sent me a document about memory for windows.  I haven't had time
to read it yet, but you may want to call them and ask for it.  I'm on
vacation, so I don't know the exact title.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@wind55.seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer             VOICE: (303)231-1014