[comp.windows.ms] Where are you Windows 3?

kung@maven.u.washington.edu (Darwei Kung) (03/22/90)

Simple question, and looking for a simple answer...

IS WINDOWS V3 anywhere in sight?  A few friends of mine have done some beta
testing some comercial products, but knew nothing about release date set by
Microsoft.  Is there any legal implication associated with Windows-3?

Darwei Kung

Darwei Kung                    | Why?
KUNG@UWAV1.BITNET              | How?
KUNG@TOBY.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU   | Donno.

schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) (04/06/90)

In article <789@cica.cica.indiana.edu> mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
| Oooooh.  When Radio Shack speaks, Microsoft listens!
|
| An ugly precedent, wouldn't you say?  :-)

Being responsive to one's customers is an "ugly precedent"?  I most certainly
would _not_ say.

--
Rick (schaut@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
"Your degree in Economics is not necessarily an aide to finding gainfull

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (04/09/90)

Well, when I walked into Egghead yesterday, I saw they had a tag already
printed up for Windows 3.0 for $119, with an empty space above it.  Almost
as if they wanted us to think they had it, but it was sold out.  Cruel!

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

herbing@netmbx.UUCP (Uwe Herbing) (04/09/90)

Hi there,

in Germany Windows 3.0 will be officially announced at April 23, 1990.
I think distribution will start during middle to end of May.

Greeting Kai

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (04/10/90)

In article <2844@leah.Albany.Edu> rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
>In article <blah>, steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
>> My understanding is that Microsoft wants to release the new Windows with as
>> few bugs as possible, i.e. none.
>
>Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha  ha. Ho.

I said, "Microsoft wants...as few bugs as possible", not "there will be no
bugs."

>A friend of mine in Geneva Switzerland says he has Windows 3.0.
>He ain't no beta tester.

I can only assume he has an unauthorized copy.  You didn't say where he got
it; are you saying Microsoft has started shipping Win 3 to Switzerland?

>I'm not trying to be a jerk about bugs, but any big program has
>bugs...and stuff like Steve's comment is fine for corporate
>chumps, but jeez to go saying something like that around here is
>pretty naive.
>
>Yo
>rob

Yes, any big program has bugs.  Win 3 will have bugs.  But according to
everything I have read or heard, the sole reason for delaying the shipment
of Win 3 is to make sure there are as few bugs as possible.

The sooner Microsoft starts shipping Win 3, the sooner it will make money
from Win 3.  Microsoft has no possible motive for needlessly delaying shipment,
or shipping Win 3 only to, say, Switzerland.

send_flame( rob, "You can't call me naive unless I get to call you a pest.");

--
Steve Hastings	uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp  ===^=== :::::
No, I don't speak for Microsoft.				    ` \\==|

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/11/90)

In article <2844@leah.Albany.Edu> rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
|In article <blah>, steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
|> My understanding is that Microsoft wants to release the new Windows with as
|> few bugs as possible, i.e. none.

|Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha  ha. Ho.

I guess you must be perfect if you feel you can laugh at other people's
mistakes.

|A friend of mine in Geneva Switzerland says he has Windows 3.0.
|He ain't no beta tester.

Maybe he's a thief or a pirate?

|I'm not trying to be a jerk about bugs, but any big program has

But you are a jerk.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
The War on Drugs is the modern day Inquisition.

stasica@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Master, to you) (04/11/90)

>IF Windows 3 runs in protected mode, how can many previous Windows
>programs work? I know that most of mine - including one that is actually
>being sold for money  - won't.

As far as I have seen, Windows 3.0 does have a command line switch which
tells windows that you will be running older Windows programs which weren't
designed for the 3.0 mode.  It would be rediculous for Microsoft to not
include this feature and leave all the applications developed for Windows
2.XX completely unsupported.

By the way, there are no "real" releases of Windows 3.0 anywhere in the world.

--
  stasica@snoopy.Colorado.EDU

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (04/11/90)

stasica@boulder.Colorado.EDU writes:
>By the way, there are no "real" releases of Windows 3.0 anywhere in the world.

Just to add my contribution to this --- Informix claims that Windows 3.0
will be available 2nd week of May.  Their WingZ spreadsheet will ship as
soon as Windows 3.0 does.

[ \tom haapanen   --   university of waterloo  --  tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ comp.binaries.os2 moderator -- submissions to os2bin@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i say what i say, but i say it for myself and myself only" -- me           ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"                -- al capone    ]

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (04/11/90)

In article <2844@leah.Albany.Edu> rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
|In article <blah>, steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) writes:
|> My understanding is that Microsoft wants to release the new Windows with as
|> few bugs as possible, i.e. none.

|Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha  ha. Ho.

Hey man, all those people out there that don't have any bugs in their programs
raise your hands.

Those people that raised their hands, send me your program and I'll find a bug
(and this doesn't include wise guys with "Hello World" programs).
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) (04/13/90)

*
* As far as I have seen, Windows 3.0 does have a command line switch which
* tells windows that you will be running older Windows programs which weren't
* designed for the 3.0 mode.  It would be rediculous for Microsoft to not
* include this feature and leave all the applications developed for Windows
* 2.XX completely unsupported.
--
But, will MS _tell_ us that the switch is there?  Or will they de-document it
like they have done with the switches in 2.11?