[comp.windows.ms] Seeking Corel-Draw comments

dcaffey@hydra.unm.edu (Dom Caffey) (05/03/90)

I'm interested in hearing people's comments on Corel-Draw for
MS-Windows-386?

Thanks,

Dominic Caffey

+-------------------------------+
| Dominic Caffey,               |
| Student, Ph#:  (505)-296-1942 |
| University of New Mexico, USA |

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (05/03/90)

In article <2592@ariel.unm.edu> dcaffey@hydra.unm.edu (Dom Caffey) writes:
>I'm interested in hearing people's comments on Corel-Draw for
>MS-Windows-386?

  I posted a similar question a month or so ago about
  Corel-Draw vs. Micrografix Designer vs. Arts & Letters Graphics Editor.

  I received ONE response, from an real-live graphics illustrator, who
  basically said "it does about everything I would want to do.  I like it."

  There is a brand-new book out on using Corel-Draw (blessed by C-D, too).
  Name escapes me, but I picked it up at a local  B. Dalton Software outlet.
  I bought it, and read it, but I'm still not convinced it's MY choice.
  One of the (my perceived) problems, it that for speed, C-D does all of
  it manipulations via wire-frame: you pop-up another, non-editable window
  to review the "colorized" version.

  In Micrografix, you can design in either wire or solids.  I've had a
  chance to play around with Micrografix Draw, but I wasn't exactly blown
  over by it, either.  Maybe I'm looking for too much?

  If anyone has used Arts&Letters, I would like to hear from them.

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (05/03/90)

In article <562@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM>, ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) writes...

]
[...]

I have used all three products, each of which has some
virtues.  I use Corel a lot, and it is far and away the
fastest of the three.  Since it meets my needs at the
moment, I have concentrated on it, to the exclusion of
the other two packages.  My impression is that all things
taken together, it is the best for general illustration,
but Draw/Designer and A&L each have unique features that
may sway you in their direction.

As to your specific objection about not being able to edit
Corel's view window, one solution (and the one I tend to
use) is a large monitor so you can conveniently have both
windows up at once.  The view window update can be slow,
especially if there are lots of text objects and complex
fills, but you can select to update it only when you click
on it, if you like.

A feature they *could* do something about is that when
the view window is zoomed in, time still goes away while
the view is updated for portions outside the current frame.
I suppose that's easier to code, but it is definitely
slower to watch, for reasonably complex images.

The PostScript it generates for an EPS export is also just
a little flakey as to the bounding box, and this can be
very annoying when you're trying to size or position the
image after importing it into Ventura, for example.

==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |
| Home: 2838 Stevens St., 53705, 608/238-4833   Bitnet: anderson@wiscmacc  |
==Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu====UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson==