[comp.windows.ms] Windows text editor

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (05/02/90)

craig@unify.uucp (Craig Isaacs) writes:

>In article <1990Apr30.181344.1395@seri.gov> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:
>>MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
>>
>>>Anybody seen a text editor for Windows386 (pd, shareware, or inexpensive)?
>>>Notepad just doesn't cut it (I'm tired of getting those "not valid notepad
>>>file" notices).
>>
>>What really ticks me off is that I can't even edit my WIN.INI file with it.
>>I use soft fonts for my LaserJet II and they make the INI file too big to
>>be edited by it.  I think it's limited to 32K.
>>
>Am I missing something here?  Isn't MS Write given away with Windows?

>Although Write is certainly not a fancy wp program, it does
>qualify as a text editor (and can edit win.ini).

Well, yes.  You can edit files with a word processor.  I even own WinWord.
I just PREFER to use an editor for editing text files.  Word processors
are generally MUCH slower than editors.  They take longer to load, open
files, etc.  When I want to make a quick change to a file, I don't want to
wait a half minute or so to do it.  I'm used to fast response, and when I
don't get it, I start pissing and moaning.  Once you become addicted to
speed, it's very hard to accept slow response.  It breaks your rhythm and
productivity plummets.

I consider Notepad to be an embarrassment.  IMHO, Windows is a GREAT
idea - it just isn't executed very well.  Yet.  Here's hoping for 3.0!

BTW, Martin tells me one can add a line to WIN.INI to increase Notepad's
size.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm curious as to why MS
didn't mention it to me when I was complaining about it on the phone.
Martin says to try:

[notepad]
size=xxx

To quote the manual on Notepad file size:

	"When a file has less than 10 percent free space, you should con-
	sider splitting the file and working on it as two different files."

What incredibly useless advice!

When I look up WIN.INI in the Notepad index (hoping for advice on
increasing Notepad's max file size), it tells me to look at page 1.
To quote page 1:

	"Microsoft Windows Notepad is a text editor you can use to
	create, modify, and display text files.  Although Notepad is pri-
	marily a place to jot down notes or short memos, you can also
	use Notepad to create and edit batch files and to edit your
	WIN.INI file."

OK.

So now I try the index for the Windows User's Guide, I see under Notepad
that they mention WIN.INI.  Let's see if that tells us how to increase
the default size.  I turn to page 199 and there the title says "Customizing
Your WIN.INI File."  Sounds promising!  Unfortunately, where Notepad is
mentioned is in the following line:

	"You can make changes directly to your WIN.INI file by using
	Notepad."

Nothing about customizing Notepad - just using it to modify WIN.INI.
Why does MS have so many undocumented features in Windows?  I consider
that slightly unethical.

So since MS doesn't intend for people to use Notepad as a general
purpose text editor ("primarily a place to jot down notes and short
memos" - for that I prefer yellow sticky pads), what are our options?
Will WIN 3.0 have an enhanced Notepad?  Does someone market a good
Windows text editor?  I'm willing to spend money for quality software.

Will May 21 ever come?
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer             VOICE: (303)231-1014

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (05/03/90)

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:

>BTW, Martin tells me one can add a line to WIN.INI to increase Notepad's
>size.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm curious as to why MS
>didn't mention it to me when I was complaining about it on the phone.
>Martin says to try:

>[notepad]
>size=xxx

I just tried this with WIN386 v 2.11.  My WIN.INI file is 26K.  Notepad
can not edit it without the above statements.  So I tried

[notepad]
size=64

for 64K.  It didn't work either.  I don't know if I'm doing this right.
It isn't documented anywhere I can find it.

Martin did say that he hadn't tried it for a long time.  Maybe it worked
with an earlier release.

Oh well.  I guess I'll just have to wait for 3.0 to come out.  I hope the
protected mode stuff will allow larger files.  If it doesn't, I'll be in
the market for something...
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer             VOICE: (303)231-1014
Wind Research Branch                 1617 Cole Blvd., Golden, CO  80401-3393
Solar Energy Research Institute      Solar - safe energy for a healthy future

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (05/03/90)

I wrote a msg to Marshall, saying that at sometime in the past I had been
able to change Notepad's maximum allowable file size by changing the
win.ini file like so:

[notepad]
size=xxx  where xxx is the max kbyte size.

Unfortunately, I wrote Marshall before I tested it (tho I warned that it
might not be the correct method), and even more unfortunately, he passed
it to the net before he tested it.

*** the above "solution" DOES NOT WORK ***

Apologies to all (including you, Marshall) who have wasted time trying this.

As I informed Marshall in my msg to him, I was able to change this notepad
parameter, at some point in the past, I just can't remember how I did it.
I'm working on it.

As for WRITE, it's 200k in size!! seesh.

                                   - MJB -

                       USENET: mjb@cup.portal.com

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (05/03/90)

I see, now, that Marshall did warn you off of my "solution".

Apologies all around.

                              - MJB -

                     USENET: mjb@cup.portal.com

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/03/90)

I seem to remember from Petzold's book that notepad is a small app (only about
21K) which mainly creates an edit window. These windows I believe keep all
their data in the local heap, which is limited (to 32K?). I don't think it
is possible to increase this size via win.ini. Perhaps it is possible to
decrease the max possible size?

Milan
.,