[comp.windows.ms] WinWord and EMS memory

churti@greco.dit.upm.es (Francisco Gutierrez de Churtichaga) (05/04/90)

Hello,

I have two questions:

I happen to be going to the States in a short time I am thinking of buying
Word for Windows (it is much cheaper there ). There has been much talk
here about its graphical capabilities and the graphic formats it accepts. What
I would like to know is if it is worth the price and how it compares to other
wordprocessors. Also, is it reasonable fast in a 12Mhz AT?

I have doubts about how Windows 286 manages EMS memory. Does it, itself, use
it for swapping out memory and making room for other programs?. If so, is it
better to use extended memory over 1MB as EMS or should I better leave it for
SmartDrive?.
Thanks.

Francisco Gutierrez de Churtichaga. <churti@dit.upm.es>
Departamento de Ingenieria Telematica. Universidad Politecnica de Madrid. SPAIN

abukarb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bassam A. Abu-Karroum) (05/05/90)

In article <348@goya.dit.upm.es> churti@greco.UUCP (Francisco Gutierrez de Churtichaga) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I have two questions:
>
>I happen to be going to the States in a short time I am thinking of buying
>Word for Windows (it is much cheaper there ). There has been much talk
>here about its graphical capabilities and the graphic formats it accepts. What
>I would like to know is if it is worth the price and how it compares to other
>wordprocessors. Also, is it reasonable fast in a 12Mhz AT?

I'm going to leave the first question to the experts

>I have doubts about how Windows 286 manages EMS memory. Does it, itself, use
>it for swapping out memory and making room for other programs?. If so, is it
>better to use extended memory over 1MB as EMS or should I better leave it for
>SmartDrive?.
>Thanks.

Windows/286 does not use extended memory. The one part that it indirectly
uses is throught HIMEM (if loaded.) For users not familiar with HIMEM, Windows
uses that area (about 50K) to load a part of its own code. Other that that,
Windows uses the hard-drive and expanded memory (if available) for code
swapping. If you have more that 1MB you better off converting that memory into
expanded (LIM 4.0) for Windows/286 to take advantage of. Otherwise, use that
memory as extended and assign it to a SmartDrive.

Regards.

Bassam