[comp.windows.ms] Modal Dialog Box question

kipnis@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Kipnis) (05/03/90)

Hi, I have a slight problem when minimizing main window through a
modal dialog box.  I have a modal dialog box, which has minimize button.
When the button is pressed, I call ShowWindow(hWndMain, SW_MINIMIZE).
Now the main window is iconofied, but I cannot de-iconify it because the
dialog box is running, i.e. double clicking on the icon is ignored.
I don't want to use modeless dialog box.

Does anybody has any suggestions on how to de-iconofy the main window again.

Thank You,

gary

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (05/04/90)

In article <35985@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> kipnis@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Kipnis) writes:
>Does anybody has any suggestions on how to de-iconofy the main window again.

Yeah, put a Maximize button in the modal dialog box.  That's the only way
you're going to be able to handle this.  However, I really wouldn't suggest
going about the path you're going.  Minimize and maximize should be handled
via the caption bar buttons like normal windows apps do.  Either that or
through a menu choice (I believe Excel uses the menu bar for maximizing).
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

cms2839@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.M. Stuntz) (05/06/90)

In article <1990May4.143221.6412@chinet.chi.il.us> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) writes:
>going about the path you're going.  Minimize and maximize should be handled
>via the caption bar buttons like normal windows apps do.  Either that or

				the problem is that from a modal
dialog box , the user _can't_ get back to the main window's caption bar
to minimize or mazimize it , as might be possible with a modeless dialog
box . QVT has a " minimize " button in it's up/download and dialer
dialogs , to allow the user to minimize it in th middle of an operation
, which otherwise would be impossible since it's a modal dialog box . it
does not , however , have a maximise option . once it's down , it stays
down until the operation is complete . the interesting thing is that
when the main window is minimized , double - clicking the icon will hide
and unhide the dialog box .

							-a.stranger

--
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @