[comp.windows.ms] Paradise VGA & Windows 3

deisenb@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) (05/04/90)

(In an append to my recent article...)

I just contacted Paradise Systems technical support, and spoke with a
very helpfull person for quite a while.  The answer is yes.  There WILL be
drivers for Windows 3 to take advantage of the 800x600 mode of all their
VGA boards which support this mode: VGA +, +16, Professional, 1024 card,
et al...  Unfortuantely, he told me, you can expect to wait more than a
month for these drivers to be available.  As for a rumor that the +16 card
has been discontinued, that answer is no -- it is still happily in
production.  If you are thinking of purchasing a VGA card from Paradise
Systems, I (and mister tech support) recommend the +16 card over the
Professional.  The Professional can handle (with a driver) 600x400 with
256 colors -- but,not too many people write for this mode (it'll work with
Windows, however).  Also, the Professional has an additional 256K, but
on a quick machine, the speed difference is not significant.  I suppose,
if you have the extra $60 or so,you could go with the Professional, but
the +16 is still an excellent SVGA card for the money.

-Dave
--
Dave Eisenberg                       SUNY at Stony Brook Computer Science
deisenb@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu  -or-  deisenbe@sbccvm.bitnet

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (05/05/90)

Thanks for the informative posting concerning Paradise VGA cards and
Windows 3.0. It's good to know that Paradise will be providing upgrades
for my VGA+ card. I'll probably by waiting more than a month for
upgrades to my major Windows applications (AMI PRO, Draw + and PC Paint-
brush +).

As an aside I should mention that the 640x400x256 mode works on the
VGA + as well as the other cards. At least, it does on mine. I use it
all the time with VPIC, the GIF viewer. It lets me look at Amiga
pictures all at once and at 640x480x256 with minimal scrolling.
--
Joel Upchurch/Upchurch Computer Consulting/718 Galsworthy/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel (407) 859-0982

kfort@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Ken Fort) (05/05/90)

Speaking of GIF files, has anyone ever attempted to make a Windows application
to view these files?

--
  |``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````|
  | Ken Fort       kfort@shumv1.ncsu.edu          N. C. State University     |

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (05/07/90)

In article <1990May5.161352.2716@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, kfort@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Ken Fort) writes:
> Speaking of GIF files, has anyone ever attempted to make a Windows application
> to view these files?

I've used a shareware package called Easel that does this. I found that
it was very slow. Since VGIF was upgraded to VPIC, I don't use it anymore.
--

gchow@itcyyz.ipsa.reuter.com (george chow) (05/08/90)

In article <1990May5.161352.2716@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> kfort@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Ken Fort) writes:
>Speaking of GIF files, has anyone ever attempted to make a Windows application
>to view these files?

I use GCP to view GIF files on my PC and that runs under Windows.

cms2839@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.M. Stuntz) (05/08/90)

In article <4174@peora.ccur.com> joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) writes:
>In article <1990May5.161352.2716@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, kfort@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Ken Fort) writes:
>> Speaking of GIF files, has anyone ever attempted to make a Windows application
>> to view these files?
>I've used a shareware package called Easel that does this. I found that

				easel has since been upgraded . it is
reasonably fast , unless you tell it to dither a 256 colour image ,
which takes some time to work out . it is now called GCP .

							-a.stranger

--
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @