[comp.windows.ms] WFW equation editor/fonts question

akm@cacofonix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (05/08/90)

(Used to be Re: Word Perfect 5.1 vs Word for Windows)

In article <9339@lindy.Stanford.EDU> root@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Rooter) writes:
>Um, I just got finished with a report that I did with WFW and used WFW's
>built-in equation handling facility.

Got a question about that. I have two printers hooked up to
my computer, a deskjet and an Epson. When I switch to the epson, the
equation generator works just fine. When I use the Deskjet, it doesn't
work: for example, I get a "a" with a little circle above it instead
of a Capital Sigma.

How do printers decide what fonts are available? Why should this font
appear with the Epson (which doesn't have any built in fonts (well, it
has its draft and NLQ fonts), but not with the deskjet?

>Oh, and there is (going to be?) a Windows version of Math Text, one of the
>Macintosh dedicated equation editors.  Should list for $149 and be just
>like the Mac version.

IBM used to put out a DOS+Windows bundle which had some sort of
equation generator with it. I tried it a bit, but it was cumbersome,
and I didn't have any equations to generate.

cheers,

kartik
Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (05/08/90)

In article <1990May8.033248.1976@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@cacofonix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:

>Got a question about that. I have two printers hooked up to
>my computer, a deskjet and an Epson. When I switch to the epson, the
>equation generator works just fine. When I use the Deskjet, it doesn't
>work: for example, I get a "a" with a little circle above it instead
>of a Capital Sigma.
>
>How do printers decide what fonts are available? Why should this font
>appear with the Epson (which doesn't have any built in fonts (well, it
>has its draft and NLQ fonts), but not with the deskjet?

Winword comes with a Symbol font for LaserJet compatible printers, and
Postscript printers have their own built in.  I guess the problem is that
the DeskJet has no such font and can't download it.  The Epson has no such
font, either, but Windows can and does use the screen Symbol font, which
is why (at least on my Epson), the Symbol characters appear crude.  Why
there was no Symbol font for such printers included is a mystery...

>>Oh, and there is (going to be?) a Windows version of Math Text, one of the
>>Macintosh dedicated equation editors.  Should list for $149 and be just
>>like the Mac version.

I was corrected (thanks!)--the program is MathType.  Not the same program as:

>IBM used to put out a DOS+Windows bundle which had some sort of
>equation generator with it. I tried it a bit, but it was cumbersome,
>and I didn't have any equations to generate.

Aaron Wallace