[comp.windows.ms] WinQVT and file transfers to Vax

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (05/09/90)

I have been testing WinQVT 4.15 under Windows with our Vax running Kermit. For
many of my file transfers after I finish and attempt to reconnect to the Vax,
the PC locks up. It doesn't always happen - perhaps 50% of the time. Has anyone
else had problems talking to Vaxs with WinQVT. Everything else works fine. Its
just the file transfers that are the problem.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (05/10/90)

In article <24158.26484a84@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
>I have been testing WinQVT 4.15 under Windows with our Vax running Kermit. For
>many of my file transfers after I finish and attempt to reconnect to the Vax,
>the PC locks up. It doesn't always happen - perhaps 50% of the time. Has anyone
>else had problems talking to Vaxs with WinQVT. Everything else works fine. Its
>just the file transfers that are the problem.

I have the same problem to our Pyramid.  I am not sure, but I have the
theory that if I don't have the screen maximized, but am operating in
24x80 size, that it doesn't hang up.  I think that perhaps it is related
to X-on X-off.  Something like the PC getting an X-off and then there
is no way to convince it to start sending again.  I'm still trying to
determine whether being in 24x80 allows it to clear the X-off if you
click on a different window and then back onto WinQVT.

In any case I haven't registered my copy yet, because I don't trust a
shareware publisher to fix bugs like that, and it isn't worth my money
if the bugs aren't going to be fixed.  When I see a version that works
right I will be happy to pay the registration.  Also, I am waiting for
Windows 3.0, and will want it to work right with 3.0...

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

minakami@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael K. Minakami) (05/10/90)

In article <264856bf.10a2@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

>I have the same problem to our Pyramid.  I am not sure, but I have the
>theory that if I don't have the screen maximized, but am operating in
>24x80 size, that it doesn't hang up.  I think that perhaps it is related
>to X-on X-off.  Something like the PC getting an X-off and then there
>is no way to convince it to start sending again.  I'm still trying to
>determine whether being in 24x80 allows it to clear the X-off if you
>click on a different window and then back onto WinQVT.

I have a host of problems with WinQVT. First, the system normally locks
up when I'm running full-screen mode. Ctrl-alt-del sometimes, but not
always, works in getting out of it. When the window is 24x80 things work
fine except that the file transfer protocols terminate with too many
transmission errors. This is quite annoying and I usually end up using
Unicom for downloading (which has an even more annoying 'register me'
message.)

>In any case I haven't registered my copy yet, because I don't trust a
>shareware publisher to fix bugs like that, and it isn't worth my money
>if the bugs aren't going to be fixed.  When I see a version that works
>right I will be happy to pay the registration.  Also, I am waiting for
>Windows 3.0, and will want it to work right with 3.0...

Same here. My 2 cents: people should boycott Shareware that pops up a
registration screen every ten keystrokes. In addition to making it
frustrating on a trial basis, any *good* software shouldn't need this
tactic.

| "Truth is but a pattern, one of     |  Michael K. Minakami       |
|  many, in the eye of the beholder.  |  celt@portia.stanford.edu  |