[net.auto] Graphite in Mobil 1 oil

hal@aesat.UUCP (Hal Patnaik) (10/08/84)

I seem to be a bit confused here.  Does Mobil 1 have graphite  in
it  or  not?   According  to Karren Hettinger (see article below)
there IS graphite in  Mobil  1.   Could  someone  please  explain
whether  there  is  or  is  not.   And  if  there is, what is its
purpose, and whether or not is is harmful for the engine?

Also,  if  synthetic  oils  are  so  wonderful,   why   do   most
manufacturers   warn  that  they  will  not  stand  behind  their
warantees if you put synthethic oil into your engine?

Here is "kitten"'s article:

> From kitten Thu Oct 04 21:35:59 1984
> Subject: Mobil One, graphite-based oils
>
> ...I know of someone who had bad experience with Mobil One ... He
> [said] he had used it in three or four different  cars.    ... He
> found  upon inspection after using the oil for various lengths of
> time in the different cars that ALL suffered extreme wear damage,
> caused  by the graphite in the oil.  (P.S. If I recall correctly,
> all the cars saw at least one oil change.)
>
> As I understand it ... the graphite flakes are supposed to form a
> layer between metal parts. ...  What had happened instead is that
> the graphite *caused* friction between the metal parts, and since
> I  understand  graphite to be a somewhat hard compound, it caused
> scratches in the metal.  All I can figure is that:
>
> 1) the graphite flakes  did  not lay flat between the metal parts
>    as intended, or
> 2) the graphite was not in a flake form, and acted as would metal
>    fragments suspended in the oil.
>
> Karen Hettinger

Any comments would be appreciated...

Hal Patnaik
{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!hal

AES DATA, Inc.			Bus:	(416) 821-9190 x. 364
1900 Minnesota Crt.		Home:   (416) 844-1607
Mississauga, Ont.
CANADA

seifert@ihuxl.UUCP (D.A. Seifert) (10/12/84)

> purpose, and whether or not [graphite] is harmful for the engine?

The problem I've heard of with Arco graphite is that it
clogs up the oil passages. Eventually you get parts of the engine
being starved for oil, and...

> Also,  if  synthetic  oils  are  so  wonderful,   why   do   most
> manufacturers   warn  that  they  will  not  stand  behind  their
> warantees if you put synthethic oil into your engine?

Easy. They are VERY conservative.  Petrol-based oil is well-known.
They KNOW how it works, they know how their engines will react to it.
Synthetics are a relative new-comer.  Their properties aren't so
well-known.  They may be better, they may be worse.  Maybe they're
better (than conventional oils) for some engines but worse for others.
They haven't had time to test them sufficiently to trust them.
Sticking with conventional oils is safe, so that's what they do.
--
	_____		"Money. It's a gas. Just keep your hands
       /_____\	 		off of *my* stack!"  - Pink Floyd

hrs@houxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (10/15/84)

I used Arco graphite in my 81 Mazda 626 for 3 years, until it was no
longer available, starting after the break-in period. I have had several
oil changes after the Arco was no langer available. (Castrol).
I have no evidence of damage, i.e. the car uses 1 qt/3000 mi. now.
My gas mileage was better with the Arco. I had used it on the recommendation of
a friend, who was using it in 3 cars. He has no evidence of damage.
It was rotten stuff to handle, ig you got it on your clothes they
were permanently stained.
I never used it in my RX-7.

Herman Silbiger
houxb!hrs

dave@rocksvax.UUCP (10/16/84)

Unless they have come up with clear graphite, I would have to say that
Mobil 1 has no graphite in it.  I have used the stuff for years in my
VW Diesel Rabbit and still runs, had high compression and does not
burn oil and has about over 100,000 miles on it.

It works great in the diesel, the engine spins right over on the coldest of
days.  That was not the case with standard "oils".

Dave

arpa: Sewhuk.HENR@Xerox.ARPA
uucp: {allegra,rochester,amd,sunybcs}!rocksvax!dave