[comp.windows.ms] WIN87EM / Paradise drivers

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (05/25/90)

Well, got my copy of Win 3.0 at exactly 10:00 AM 5/22.

Two questions (one with solution attached)...

1) I tried running Win 3.0 in real mode, so I could make sure all my old
	apps ran fine.  Some of them, however, didn't.  I got a dialog
	box for Application Error: File Not Found or somesuch.  This was
	kinda distressing, and none of the manuals or help files gave me
	a clue as to WHAT file it couldn't find.  Well, at 2:00 last night
	(the time of all great discoveries), I decided to try moving files
	over from Win 2.11, to see if I could get the programs to run.

	Fonts: didn't help diddly.  (BTW, Master Tracks Pro says in the
		manual that it's supposed to look bad without HELVB.FON
		installed, but I can't tell the difference in either 2.11 or
		3.0

	WIN87EM.EXE: BINGO!  There's a WIN87EM.DLL in the SYSTEM subdirectory
		of Windows 3.0, but apparently a lot of old files (including
		Master Tracks Pro) couldn't find it.  Solution: copy
		WIN87EM.DLL to the windows 3.0 directory, and rename it to
		WIN87EM.EXE.  Everything then works fine.

2) Does anyone know when Paradise will have their drivers for the Pro card
	(800x600x16) available?  I called their BBS ((415) 968-1834 if it
	matters) but couldn't find anything about the new drivers.  I'm
	running both 2.11 and 3.0 right now, since I can't live without
	800x600 for some applications.

(oh, sorry.  3 questions.)

3) Is there an anon ftp site for bitstream fonts?  I read in PC magazine that
	you can get Bitstream for $25 right now, but don't have the magazine
	any more.

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (05/25/90)

A few random comments first...  I've had Win3 for 16 hours now, and it's
all that I was hoping it would be.  The apps icons make it possible to
really use Win3 as an environment (Win2 was unacceptable), and the after-
installeation customization is impressive.  I didn't do any benchmarks,
but WinWord *appears* quicker with Win3 (VGA) than with Win2.11 (SVGA).
Maybe that's because it now has 8 Mb to play with, instead of 640K.  Need
some more apps though (like WingZ or a new version of Excel, though!).

The Asymetrix DayBook that was included looks pretty slick as well (although
I don't know yet whether I'll end up using it); is this similar to the
Mac's HyperCard?

Randy Spangler <rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> writes:
> 2) Does anyone know when Paradise will have their drivers for the Pro card
>	(800x600x16) available?

I called their tech support yesterday, and they promised drivers for VGA+
for mid-June (I assume these would work with the Pro as well).  They'll be
on the BBS...

> 3) Is there an anon ftp site for bitstream fonts?  I read in PC magazine that
>	you can get Bitstream for $25 right now, but don't have the magazine
>	any more.

Mims-iris has an archive of LaserJet fonts (not bitstream).  These are of
varying quality, but at least they are free.  :)  FTP to mims-iris.waterloo.edu
and look in /fonts (please try not to do it 9am - 5pm EST).

Oh yes --- does the current version of Actor support Win3 or not?  There
is supposed to be an Actor 3.0 coming out --- what's the deal?

[ \tom haapanen   --   university of waterloo  --  tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i say what i say, but i say it for myself and myself only"           -- me ]

deisenb@ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) (05/27/90)

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) writes:
>Does anyone know when Paradise will have their drivers for the Pro card
>        (800x600x16) available?

I spoke with Paradise Systems, and they said to expect to wait at least
a month before 800x600 drivers are released for Win 3.0...

-Dave
--
Dave Eisenberg                       SUNY at Stony Brook Computer Science
deisenb@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu  -or-  deisenbe@sbccvm.bitnet