[comp.windows.ms] Several Windows Questions

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (05/29/90)

In article <72238@ccicpg.UUCP> swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) writes:
>What happens when you call printf() within a WinApp?
>Does anyone known how to call the internal formatter
>that printf(), fprintf(), and sprintf() use to allow
>for creating my own formatted output routine?

printf is very bad news.  Never, ever, use this in a Windows app.  fprintf is
fine if you have an auxilary monitor set up (or an auxilary terminal) since
it can be set up so that the fprintf call goes to the auxilary port.  sprintf
is fine and dandy and can be used within a Windows app.  All you have to do
is create a string buffer, use sprintf to set it up in the format you want,
then hit it with the TextOut call and it'll be on the screen.

>Is there a way to dynamically change the window's captions, border,
>and thickframe control. SetWindowWord() works somewhat, but Windows
>seems to get confused about what to copy during moves.

You'll have to destroy the window and bring it up again with the new style.
SetWindowWord doesn't like it when you change borders and such dynamically.
As for captions, there is a Windows function call the will set the caption
text.

>Is there a limit to the number of classes that can be created?
>Is there a way to determine the name of the classes that have
>already been registered?
I believe the only limit is the amount of Windows memory you have available.
As for determining the names of the classes, I'm not sure if there is a way
to do that.

>Is there any limit to the number of windows
>that can be created?

Again, this is determined by the amount of memory you have.

>What is the best way to move a window with the mouse when
>no caption exists?

You'll have to set up a system that will detect a mouse click in that area
and will subsequently field mousemove messages and do movewindow calls to
change the Windows location.

>What kind of new functions and features will the new Win3.0 SDK
>provide and when will it be available?

I don't believe there is an announced date on the Win3.0 SDK.  However, Actor
can develop Windows 3.0 apps now (well, maybe a week from now) and it can
be ordered at this time.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us