[comp.windows.ms] Two questions for those who've been using Windows 3.0

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (05/25/90)

In article <25184@netnews.upenn.edu> barron@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Daniel P. Barron) writes:
>1) How well does it run non-Windows applications?  Like (ugh) WordPerfect
>   or (eek!) FreeLance?  Like it or not, I'm stuck supporting these two
>   programs, but I've been thinking about doing the Windows thing...well?

This is in 386 Enhanced Mode Only!
Word Perfect 5.1 can be run very nicely in a window if you specify it graphics
mode as CGA.  This is because Windows 3.0 is unable to display a VGA/EGA
resolution graphic screen from a DOS App in a Window.  If it is set to VGA/EGA
then Windows will force you into Full Screen mode as soon as you try to access
the print preview.  Using CGA avoids this.  However, you must remember that
when a DOS App runs in a window it loses all access to the Mouse so that the
minimal Mouse Support of Word Perfect is lost.

Question for the masses:  Why can't MS Windows just remap the Mouse interrupts
for the DOS Apps which recognize them?

>2) How well does it run on a 20MHz 386 with 2MB RAM?

Wonderful on a 16MHZ PS/2 55SX with 4MB.  Get the extra RAM.  Otherwise,
you will spend too much time doing Virtual Memory Page Swaps.

>Inquiring minds want to know...
>
>Well, one more general question...Is Windows 3.0 going to be the spark
>that sets off an explosion of Windows based applications?  How hard is
>it for developers to work with?  Is Microsoft being cooperative with
>applications developers?

I think Windows 3.0 will be a spark for developing software for 386
machines.  Only on the 386 platform does the multi tasking features
come into play as far as I can tell.  DDL will also give it a boost on
a 386.
As far as developing for it.  The SDK will not be available to the
general public until the end of June.  So I don't know.

>Seems to me Windows can only be as good as the applications it runs,
>and this means others besides Microsoft ought to be writing them...
>competition and all that free enterprise stuff, you know.

There is quite a bit of stuff available.  The only thing I am looking
for is a True MS Windows Object Library for C++.  A Windows based C++
development environment.  (and other languages for that matter)
And a wonderful, multiuser Database system.  Kind of like a Paradox for
Windows will support for Graphic Images.

>You can e-mail if you want and I'll summarize, but I think these
>questions are of general interest...
>
>db
>
>_______________________________Daniel Barron__________________________________
>                                     | E-mail: barron@wharton.upenn.edu
>"Hunger only for a taste of justice, |         barron@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
> Hunger only for a word of truth."   |         barron@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu
>            --Tracy Chapman          | USMail: Suite 1400, 3620 Locust Walk
>_____________________________________|_________Philadelphia, PA  19104________

- Jeff
(jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (05/29/90)

In article <25184@netnews.upenn.edu> barron@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Daniel P. Barron) writes:
>Well, one more general question...Is Windows 3.0 going to be the spark
>that sets off an explosion of Windows based applications?  How hard is
>it for developers to work with?  Is Microsoft being cooperative with
>applications developers?
>
>Seems to me Windows can only be as good as the applications it runs,
>and this means others besides Microsoft ought to be writing them...
>competition and all that free enterprise stuff, you know.

When I first saw Windows 3.0 (oh, 6 months ago) it completely changed my mind
about the future of Windows.  Personally, when I first saw Windows it was
version 2.03 and I thought it was a neat toy but it would never make it in
the full stream.  Things have changed.

Windows 3.0 will change the way people use PC's and I do believe it is the
spark that has alread set more developers up for Windows development.

As for working with the Microsoft folk, they've always worked with 3rd party
developers.  Ours was the second Windows application to be released and we
worked with them in the early days and are still doing so.

To the general public, good support and a good beta program are available
through OnLine, the Microsoft support system.  If you have OnLine you should
have no problem with getting support when you need it for Windows development.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us