[comp.windows.ms] More Windows 3.0 Questions

deisenb@ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) (05/27/90)

Many people write that installing Win 3.0 with the Logitech mouse
driver doesn't work...  I installed it successfully, and it works
beautifully without a glitch.  Besides telling Windows that I have a
Logitech mouse, the only other relevent parts of my installation have
been to run Mouse, Menu, and Click in my Autoexec.Bat file.

To switch subjects for a moment...  I found that running multiple DOS
windows was a slight pain at first.  I like having TWO DOS windows in
386 Enhanced mode -- one running as "background" priority.  This proved
to me a failure UNTIL I made a PIF for command.com, and checked the
high graphics test modes and such (more info on that in the Users' guide).
But, alas, I find that some programs (like Norton's SI, or BE SA <color>)
will prevent text from appearing for short moments.  Has anyone encounterred
this problem?

For those of who who asked: WordPerfect runs fine in a window under 386
Enhanced mode (although it's a memory hog).  So does dBASE III+...  In fact,
I've had two DOS windows, WordPerfect, dBASE III+, CrossTalk for WIndows,
and some other smaller Windows apps running at once (with CrossTalk and one
DOS window running as a "background" process) without much problem other
than occational disk swaps (this is with 4 megs of memory).

So, other than slight disk-swapping slow downs, and interesting screen
updating glitches, I'd say that running multiple non-windows applications
at once in 386 Enhanced mode works fine.

-Dave
--
Dave Eisenberg                       SUNY at Stony Brook Computer Science
deisenb@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu  -or-  deisenbe@sbccvm.bitnet

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (05/29/90)

In article <3030@husc6.harvard.edu> sipples@husc8.harvard.edu (Timothy Sipples) writes:
>Finally, does it do protected mode with 640K, or does that require more
>memory?

Here's the story on protected mode operations (just to clear the air on this
question).  In order to get Windows 3.0 to operate in protected mode you
MUST have the himem driver loaded.  As most of you know, this can't be done
on a 640K machine because it has no hi-dos memory in which to load the
himem driver.

You basically need at least 1Meg to run in protected mode.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us