[comp.windows.ms] DOS Apps in a Windows

chris@seas.gwu.edu (Chris Goldsmith) (05/25/90)

	I heard rumors that Win3 would let you run DOS apps in a
	graphically resizeable window (when running in 386 enhanced
	mode I think)

	How do you get it to do this ???

	I've tried and the Apps run in full screen mode.

	Any Ideas ??

Thanx,
chris@seas.gwu.edu

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (05/26/90)

Chris,
      Use the PIFeditor to change from "full screen" to "windowed".
      You might want to engage "background" mode as well.

                                 - MJB -

                        USENET: mjb@cup.portal.com

deisenb@ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) (05/27/90)

chris@seas.gwu.edu (Chris Goldsmith) writes:
>I heard rumors that Win3 would let you run DOS apps in a
>       graphically resizeable window (when running in 386 enhanced
>       mode I think)
>
>       How do you get it to do this ???
>
>       I've tried and the Apps run in full screen mode.
>
>       Any Ideas ??

Either modify the PIF for the application to run in WINDOWED mode, or toggle
between full-page mode and windowed mode with Alt-Enter.

-Dave
--
Dave Eisenberg                       SUNY at Stony Brook Computer Science
deisenb@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu  -or-  deisenbe@sbccvm.bitnet

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (05/29/90)

In article <1893@sparko.gwu.edu> chris@seas.gwu.edu (Chris Goldsmith) writes:

>	I heard rumors that Win3 would let you run DOS apps in a
>	graphically resizeable window (when running in 386 enhanced
>	mode I think)
>	How do you get it to do this ???
>	I've tried and the Apps run in full screen mode.

First tip, create a PIF file for the application.  It has a choice in there
that asks you if the app should run full size or as a Window.  If you try
to run it as a window and it complains, well, there's nothing else you can
do.  The way the program chose to display output just can't handle being a
Window in some cases.

--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us