[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 Updates

traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) (05/23/90)

In article <464@dg.dg.com> jorge@dg.dg.com (Jorge Lach) writes:
>Has anyone received update notices yet? I am wandering when registered
>users are going to get theirs. Is anyone aware of the update cost, and
>whether it will include all documentation? What about users who bought
>2.11 recently?

I received my upgrade notice and certificate on Monday, May 21.  The update
cost is $50, but recent buyers (I'm not sure of the dates here) get it for
free. Egghead, a software retail chain, will also handle the upgrade if you
bring them the cover of your old Windows manual.

     *=====*	*========*
    //		    ||
    \\		    ||	  Saul Traiger
     *=====*	    ||	  Department of Philosophy/Cognitive Science Program
	   \\	    ||	  Occidental College
	   //	    ||	  Los Angeles, CA 90041      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     *=====*	    ||				     |
			  Internet: traiger@oxy.edu  |
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^	  voice-mail: (213) 259-2901 |
		    |				     |
		    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (05/25/90)

> Has anyone received update notices yet? I am wandering when registered
> users are going to get theirs. Is anyone aware of the update cost, and
> whether it will include all documentation? What about users who bought
> 2.11 recently?

I received the upgrade notices for the all five of the Windows /286 and
Windows /386 licenses the I have on Monday May 21, 1990. I took four of
them over to my local Egghead Discount Software store on Tuesday May 22,
1990 at 1400(CST) and got four Windows 3.0 upgrades. The fifth one will
be sent to MicroSoft since I have one system that only has a single 360k
drive and Egghead doesn't have those. The upgrades from MicroSoft are
$50.00 plus $5.50 s/h plus any local taxes. Upgrades from Egghead are
$49.95 plus any local taxes, you save a nickel and the s/h. And you get
it NOW! The upgrade kit is identical to the retail version except for
two things. The upgrade kit is in a plain box (no fancy cover art) and
there is no registration card to send in.

The upgrade kit includes:

1. MS Windows 3.0 Disks
    3.5 720k or 5.25 1.2Mb

2. A 3.0 Manual
    Normally I only look at a manual to see how to install the
    software. But, I found this manual to be very good. I have
    actually read four different sections. Check it out!

3. A Run-Time Version of Toolbook Disks
    There is no manual for this, but there is a demonstration mode
    that will give a walking tour of what the complete package can
    do. There is a very useable calendar/scheduler/phone book.

4. License Card
    A plastic card in typical legaleze.

5. Hardware Compatibility Sheet
    This sheet lists all of the hardware the you can use with version
    3.0 right out of the box. For other hardware, you might need drivers
    from the manufacture.

6. Software Compatibility Sheet
    This handy four page sheet is a good list of programs that are
    compatible with Windows 3.0. It lists each supplier with the name
    of the program, when it will be available and two phone numbers to
    call, one for information and the other to order.

On a related topic.

Now that version 3.0 is out and we all love it, when can we expect
version 4.0? And what new features will it include?

---
Clancy Malloy                                           Oh, my own life
AT&T Bell Labs                             Is all I can hope to control
Large UNIX System Administration                        Oh, let my life
Naperville, IL                                    Be lived for the good
(708) 979-3946                                         Good of my soul.
att!ihlpa!cem                                             -- Tom Paxton

PostScript(tm): Wouldn't be great if ALL the software companies had the
                upgrades at a local retail level? MicroSoft did it with
                Windows 3.0. MicroPro did it with WordStar 6.0. Now if
                only Aldus, Adobe, Micrografx, Computer Support, Corel,
                Bitstream, Borland, Central Point, ... (well you get
                the idea) did it. Are you people listening??????????

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (05/25/90)

In article <1990May24.185119.18770@bach.amd.com> phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <464@dg.dg.com> jorge@dg.dg.com (Jorge Lach) writes:
>|Has anyone received update notices yet? I am wandering when registered
>|users are going to get theirs. Is anyone aware of the update cost, and
>
>I hadn't gotten mine so I called and he said you should have them
>by now. Their system seems to have some big holes in it so if you
>care, you ought to call in. The update costs $50 plus shipping and
>tax and they will want some kind of proof of ownership. My serial
>number was not good, I don't know why, but I convinced him I deserved
>it anyway. I'm also getting an Excel update for free, not even
>shipping charges.

At the office I saw another system's reorder form in the mail on Tuesday
(announcement day!) and I got mine on Wednesday.  On the other hand, I've
not yet received any reorder form for my personal copies at home (both
Win/286 and Win/386 plus Excel)...

Since when has Windows had a serial number of interest to Microsoft?  For
a while there was a serial number associated with Word, but even that
has disappeared in recent releases.  In the few cases in which Microsoft
apparently lost my registration (and so didn't send me an upgrade order
form) all they asked for was a copy of the sales receipt.  Nobody ever
brought up the issue of a serial number.

Joe

moran@drivax.UUCP (Mike Moran) (05/26/90)

jorge@dg.dg.com (Jorge Lach) writes:

>Has anyone received update notices yet? I am wandering when registered
>users are going to get theirs. Is anyone aware of the update cost, and
>whether it will include all documentation? What about users who bought
>2.11 recently?

I received my update notice on Monday 5/21.  Cost is $50.00 for anyone having
purchased Windows[286/386] prior to 4/15/90.  If you purchased after 4/15/90
the upgrade is free.

--
Michael A. Moran
Digital Research

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (05/27/90)

Phil Ngai <phil@pepsi.amd.com> writes:
> I'm also getting an Excel update for free, not even shipping charges.

Interesting bit on the Excel upgrades: an upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 was
$50 or something, and 2.1 to 2.1c (Win3 version) is $15 in Canada.
However, an upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1c is only $15 as well!  Microsoft,
thank you, I won't be buying WingZ quite yet now...

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (05/29/90)

In a recent article jorge@dg.dg.com (Jorge Lach) writes:

>Has anyone received update notices yet? I am wandering when registered
>users are going to get theirs. Is anyone aware of the update cost, and
>whether it will include all documentation? What about users who bought
>2.11 recently?

I recently posted a report that Egghead supposedly carries the upgrade.
For a change, the press releases were correct: Egghead carries them (in
both 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" versions), and even discounts the price of the
upgrade...by one whole cent.  $49.99 instead of $50.00.

The release version seems to work just as well as the beta copy, although
I'm still having problems with EMM386.