[comp.windows.ms] Keyboard Problems with Windows 3.0

traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) (05/26/90)

I've run into my first significant problem with Windows 3.0.

I installed 3.0 on an AST Premium 286 with 2 megs, configured as 640
conventional and the rest extended. I have a Logitech bus mouse, configured
in the default way (as a Microsoft mouse). The monitor is a Nec Multisync 2
and the VGA card is a VEGA VGA with 256 video ram. I've had the problem (which
I'll describe in a second) both with an Epson LX-80 installed and with it
uninstalled.

The problem is this: When I try to use Windows Write, the keyboard either
gives me unwanted characters or it sends a mess of characters which
locks up the keyboard or it simply locks up the keyboard completely. I have
to reboot to regain keyboard use. I've checked connections and everything. Also,
I notice significanty more screen flicker when this is happening than at
any other time. So far this is the only application in which this has
happened. I have not problem with terminal, Guide (a hypertext system which
is a Windows application) or any non-windows application. I've never had any
problem with the keyboard before, and I only have the problem in Windows
Write.

Any ideas?

By the way, I'm also running Windows on a Samsung 500 with 1 meg of Ram
with a Multisync 2a and an Orchid Pro Designer Plus with 512k and I have
not been able to duplicate the problem on that machine!

This is what makes life so interesting.

     *=====*	*========*
    //		    ||
    \\		    ||	  Saul Traiger
     *=====*	    ||	  Department of Philosophy/Cognitive Science Program
	   \\	    ||	  Occidental College
	   //	    ||	  Los Angeles, CA 90041      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     *=====*	    ||				     |
			  Internet: traiger@oxy.edu  |
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^	  voice-mail: (213) 259-2901 |
		    |				     |
		    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

chrisg@microsoft.UUCP (Chris GUZAK) (05/30/90)

In article <97386@tiger.oxy.edu> traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) writes:
>I've run into my first significant problem with Windows 3.0.
>
>I installed 3.0 on an AST Premium 286 with 2 megs, configured as 640
>conventional and the rest extended. I have a Logitech bus mouse, configured

I believe your problem is your AST Preimum 286.  You need to get a new
keyboard controler.  There appears to be a bug in this part that
causes problems when running protected mode software (whem you switch
between real/protect mode).  A similar problem appears with Lotus 123 3.0.

Call AST support, I think they have a fix for this.

Chris Guzak