[comp.windows.ms] No drive D: in Windows-3

dowding@linc.cis.upenn.edu (John Dowding) (05/29/90)

I installed Windows 3.0 this weekend.  I could not make it find my D: drive,
and cannot edit files, execute progams, etc. on it.

I have a single 40M drive divided into 2 20M partitions.  A friend mentioned
that he has always needed a special device driver in his config.sys to
recognize the D: drive.  I have never needed this before, do I need it now?\

Thanks in advance,

John Dowding
dowding@linc.cis.upenn.edu

darkness@altger.UUCP (Stefan Willmeroth) (06/01/90)

In article <25322@netnews.upenn.edu> dowding@linc.cis.upenn.edu (John Dowding) writes:
>I installed Windows 3.0 this weekend.  I could not make it find my D: drive,
>and cannot edit files, execute progams, etc. on it.
>
>I have a single 40M drive divided into 2 20M partitions.

I suppose you use MS-DOS of Versions 3.30 or 4.01. In this case you
*dont* need any drivers in your config.sys to activate your second
partition. DOS provides all necessary functions. The only thing you
should do is to use DOSs FDISK-command to create your partitions.
If you used some other non-DOS-program, you should make a backup of
your hd and then create an format the partitions again with DOS.
There should not be any more problems then.

Stefan Willmeroth          |Write a program  even  idiots can use,
Munich/Germany             |and you will see that only idiots will
darkness@altger.alt.sub.org|want to use it.               (Murphy)