[comp.windows.ms] update coupon arrives

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (06/01/90)

A couple of days ago, exactly one week after the big announcement,
my update coupon arrived. This is six days after Microsoft told
me over the phone that I should have gotten my coupon already and
that if I hadn't, I wouldn't. This is also after they told me
over the phone that I wasn't in their records.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"Separate but equal": bad for blacks, good for women.

todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May31.174141.27167@bach.amd.com> phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>A couple of days ago, exactly one week after the big announcement,
>my update coupon arrived. This is six days after Microsoft told
>me over the phone that I should have gotten my coupon already and
>that if I hadn't, I wouldn't. This is also after they told me
>over the phone that I wasn't in their records.

From what I can tell, Microsoft has one of the worst customer databases in
the PC world (WordPerfect, Inc. is giving it a lot of competition though).
I've bought a broad spectrum of Apple II, CP/M, and MS-DOS products from
them and have dutifully sent in all registration cards. Yet, time and time
again I find myself nearly yelling at some poor innocent (I assume)
customer service rep because "I am not in the database" for some product or
another. The most recent fiasco was Microsoft C 6.0. I had to call on my
dime (their 800 number people refused to help me) and get them to let me
upgrade from version 5.1. How long have I owned a Microsoft C, you ask? I
bought Microsoft C 1.0 in the old green and off-white binder (remember
those?) that was really Lattice C in disguise.

I was told during this phone call about C 6.0 that I should have gotten my
Windows 3.0 update notice... I didn't get the notice until a week after
that phone call.

To top it all off, after going through all that grief to get Microsoft to
let me upgrade from 5.1 to 6.0 despite my not being in the C database, I
decided not to upgrade after all and am buying Borland Turbo C++
Professional instead.... todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd