[comp.windows.ms] Million Dollar Question is.........

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (05/25/90)

In article <21454@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wallwey@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:
>Will the current versions of excel run under MS Windows Ver. 3.0???

No.  But there is a free upgrade to version 2.1c.  Just call the
Windows Hot-line (800) 323-3577 and tell them you are an Excel
owner, have upgraded to Win 3.0, and need the Excel Update.
You will need to have either your registration number or your
original diskettes when you make the call.
Shipping and Handling is $5.00.  There are no functional differences.

>Another big question---When Win3.0 goes into protected mode, does it
>stay there? I'm not talking about the 386 mode or the real mode, but the
>inbetween mode. It this why you cannot even run behaved programs-like
>command.com-in a window in the protoected mode.

I am not sure.  I think so.  But I have yet to read any documentation
on the Memory handling of Standard Mode.

On some other notes, if you are working on a Novell Netware 286 network.
You must upgrade to 2.15 revision C in order to use Windows 3.0
This is again free if you currently own 2.15.
There is also a free upgrade of the Network Shell available which allows
the shell to be placed in either Expanded or Extended memory.  This frees
up more conventional memory when using Win 3.0 in either Real or Standard
Modes.  I am not sure if the new shell is required for the use of Windows,
it may be.  Cost is $30 for the kit when ordered from Novell After Market
Products Division or is available via NetWire on Compuserve in NOVA Lib17.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

gpsteffler@tiger.uwaterloo.ca (Glenn Steffler) (05/26/90)

In article <9348@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>In article <21454@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wallwey@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:
>>Another big question---When Win3.0 goes into protected mode, does it
>>stay there? I'm not talking about the 386 mode or the real mode, but the
>>inbetween mode. It this why you cannot even run behaved programs-like
>>command.com-in a window in the protoected mode.
>
>I am not sure.  I think so.  But I have yet to read any documentation
>on the Memory handling of Standard Mode.

Standard mode will traverse (reflect) between real and protect mode in order
to use any DOS or BIOS services.  OS/2 can stay in protect mode on a 286
only because all of the services provided by the BIOS and DOS are contained
in device drivers and the like which are written expressly for protect mode
operation.

Windows 286 protect mode switches modes quite often for interrupts including
timer and hardisk.  If you notice you aren't running as fast as a friends
286 then you probably have an older model 286 machine which doesn't provide
a quick mechanism for switching between modes.

Newer model PS/2's switch VERY quickly compared to an original AT.

Any 386 machine will usually run standard mode much faster than a 286 because
of the processors ability to switch modes itself in software and the
fact that some device driver (video, etc) code will use 386 code
if you have a 386 processor.

----
Glenn Steffler			gpsteffler@sunee.uwaterloo.edu
<Commodore Amiga 3000 - Amiga DOS 2.0 - multimedia defined>

sl197009@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Chima Echeruo) (05/27/90)

gpsteffler@tiger.uwaterloo.ca (Glenn Steffler) writes:

>Windows 286 protect mode switches modes quite often for interrupts including
>timer and hardisk.  If you notice you aren't running as fast as a friends
>286 then you probably have an older model 286 machine which doesn't provide
>a quick mechanism for switching between modes.

>Newer model PS/2's switch VERY quickly compared to an original AT.

>Any 386 machine will usually run standard mode much faster than a 286 because
>of the processors ability to switch modes itself in software and the
>fact that some device driver (video, etc) code will use 386 code
>if you have a 386 processor.

>----
>Glenn Steffler			gpsteffler@sunee.uwaterloo.edu
><Commodore Amiga 3000 - Amiga DOS 2.0 - multimedia defined>

If microsoft developed MSDOS why can't it simply recode the bulk of the OS
to run in protected mode instead  of switching to real mode to service *DOS*
interupts?

I hear that the new 32 OS/2 does have such a feature where most of the DOS I/O
and services have been ported to protected mode and hence runs DOS applications
much better.

Since a large portion of the PC market is using '286 processors is there not
much need for a revamped MSDOS does utilizies the 286 protected mode while
retaining all the functions and services of it's real mode version. The
disadvantage would be that 8086 processors would be excluded from the new MSDOS
, but then again anyone who is stuck with a PC does not have much need for
high-powered computing.

Perhaps when MSDOS becomes a protected mode operating system, things such as
expanded memory/extended memory will no longer cripple the AT/386 processors.
Does anyone have any idea if microsoft is going to rewrite DOS for protected
mode operation????
-------------
Chima Echeruo
sl197009@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
-------------------------------

wjin@cs.purdue.EDU (Woochang Jin) (05/27/90)

In article <45868@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sl197009@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Chima Echeruo) writes:
>gpsteffler@tiger.uwaterloo.ca (Glenn Steffler) writes:
>
>If microsoft developed MSDOS why can't it simply recode the bulk of the OS
>to run in protected mode instead  of switching to real mode to service *DOS*
>interupts?

Because if microsoft did most existing software would not run on such new
operating system, as many Window softwares do not run on version 3.0 protected
mode.

>I hear that the new 32 OS/2 does have such a feature where most of the DOS I/O
>and services have been ported to protected mode and hence runs DOS applications
>much better.

Therefore DOS programs do not run on OS/2.

>Since a large portion of the PC market is using '286 processors is there not
>much need for a revamped MSDOS does utilizies the 286 protected mode while
>retaining all the functions and services of it's real mode version. The
>disadvantage would be that 8086 processors would be excluded from the new MSDOS
>, but then again anyone who is stuck with a PC does not have much need for
>high-powered computing.
>
>Perhaps when MSDOS becomes a protected mode operating system, things such as
>expanded memory/extended memory will no longer cripple the AT/386 processors.

Yes. Someday, anyway.
CP/M died because it lacked hierarchical directory system.
Now, next time it is DOS because it lacks protected memory system.
But this does not seem to happen within a short period because there are
too many usable softwares despite the lack of protected memory system.

>Does anyone have any idea if microsoft is going to rewrite DOS for protected
>mode operation????

Well, if microsoft decides that it would throw away all the existing DOS
softwares.

------
W. Jin

wallwey@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (05/29/90)

In article <45868@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sl197009@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Chima Echeruo) writes:
>Since a large portion of the PC market is using '286 processors is there not
>much need for a revamped MSDOS does utilizies the 286 protected mode while
>retaining all the functions and services of it's real mode version. The
>disadvantage would be that 8086 processors would be excluded from the new MSDOS
>, but then again anyone who is stuck with a PC does not have much need for
>high-powered computing.
>Does anyone have any idea if microsoft is going to rewrite DOS for protected
>mode operation????

Ya, its called OS/2.  Why keep trying to string along DOS?  [Windows 3.0
seems to do much better that any of the extenders at extending DOS's
life anyways!]  It makes sense to change the entire
operatating system since any so called DOS-exteneders exclude 8086 or
even 80286s depending on which ones you are talking about.  Also all
these DOS extenders are KULDGES in my opinion, DOS was designed for the
8086 and it always will be!!!!  We need a clean break from DOS, with the
exception of Windows 3.0.  Besides OS/2 is able to handle DOS aps in
its compatibility box, and OS/2 vers 2.0 can handle multiple DOS aps in
windows----The latest PC Magazine showed OS/2 version 2.0 running Flight
Simulator in a Presentation manager window!!!![note OS/2 version 2.0
requires a ~4Megabyte 386 machine!]
better than DOS.

>-------------
>Chima Echeruo
>sl197009@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
>-------------------------------

Dean Wallwey

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (05/29/90)

In article <21454@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wallwey@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:
>Will the current versions of excel run under MS Windows Ver. 3.0???

The answer to the million dollar question is, No.  There is an update version
to Excel (from what I hear) that will run under 3.0.  Call Microsoft support
and ask them about it.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

philba@microsoft.UUCP (Phil BARRETT) (05/30/90)

Regarding excel for win 3.0:  Version 2.1C of excel has been shipping
since early this year.  It works fine in all modes (including enhanced and
standard) of win 3.0.  To determine if you have 2.1C, pull down excel's
help.about box.

Phil

mlawless@qa1.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mike Lawless) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May28.232953.8938@chinet.chi.il.us> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us
>The answer to the million dollar question is, No.  There is an update version
>to Excel (from what I hear) that will run under 3.0.  Call Microsoft support
>and ask them about it.

Registered users of both Excel and Windows should receive a combined upgrade
letter from Microsoft (I did).  You get a free upgrade to Excel version 2.1c
when you upgrade to Windows 3.0; this is regardless of the version of Excel
you currently have.  Nice touch, Microsoft.

NCR is upgrading Windows through Egghead, which does not have this offer.
However, one of our people called Microsoft, and is getting the Excel upgrade
free from Microsoft, even though he is not upgrading Windows through them.